Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

A few new plants I grabbed on clearance

jojosplants
13 years ago

I got a few new plants this week on clearance at lowes.. Any suggestions for their care would be great! I'm new to house plants. :)

Also,

Is there any way to clean the water spots off the leaves? they look horrible!!

Dwarf Scheffler~~

I'm sure is root bound and will be repotted this week! But not bad looking. Over 2ft tall.

{{gwi:100576}}

{{gwi:100577}}

Wandering Jew..

Has it's share of bad leaves, but should do fine. I love all the color on this one! It's full! I'm thinking several in the pot! will be fun to move to new mix..lol!

{{gwi:100578}}

{{gwi:100579}}

{{gwi:100580}}

{{gwi:100581}}

Oncidinae Orchid~

This one is in bad shape, so I hope it pulls through.. VERY root bound and in moss.

{{gwi:100582}}

{{gwi:100583}}

Thanks for looking, and any help..:)

JoJo

Comments (8)

• melsmile
    13 years ago

They look like they need some tlc, but thats about it. I do the samething. I'll talk the store into selling them to me at a good price and I take them home and in about a week I have a beautiful healthy plant most of the time. The last one was a weeping fig it was so root bound and dry. It already has 2 inches of new growth on it. I love these kind of projects. Have fun. What I would do is separate as many as you can into there own pot. The dwarf looks like three plants. You say the wandering jew looks full separate them. The orchid diffenently looks like it needs separated. Sorry about spelling I'm not to good at that.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

On the WJ and the scheff ...... for me it would be chop chop, then full repot; but you already knew that - right?. ;o)

BTW - how is the prayer plant coming along, JJ?

Al

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello!
    me1smile~ they sure do need some TLC.. already working on it. Thank you!

Al~
    A few water spots, and it's off with their heads? seems harsh..!! LOL!

And yes, I was expecting you to say that..lol.:)

I am not telling hubby you said that, that would make him right an unable to live with. ;)

If I was to get brave and cut the Scheff back, how much? There's 3 in there.. One is short.
    It's not looking to happy outside. Need to get it in.

I want a new pot for them.. go bigger or stay the same? If i'm going to have it for a house plant, I was thinking taller and heavy.

And the Wandering Jew.
    Planned on giving it a haircut, better mix and new pot. :)

The Prayer plant is coming along great! (your off the hook for replacing it for now.;) Thanks for asking. :)
    It Has 5 or 6 new leaves! I'll get a pic before long and add it to the original post.
    Thanks!
    JJ

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

"If I was to get brave and cut the Scheff back, how much? There's 3 in there.. One is short.
    It's not looking to happy outside. Need to get it in."

Aw man - give it a chance outside. It will be sooo much happier there. Give it some shade so it doesn't get sunburned and watch it take off - bring it in when the nights start getting consistently below 55*.

As far as cutting it back ..... I would pick the fattest stem & cut it back to 2 leaves. Then, cut the next fattest stem back to 2/3 the ht of the fattest. Then, cut the thinnest stem back to 2/3 the ht of the middle (thickness) stem. Don't worry - offering the same warranty if it doesn't work. ;o)

"I want a new pot for them.. go bigger or stay the same? If i'm going to have it for a house plant, I was thinking taller and heavy."

You can go quite a bit bigger if you're using either the gritty mix or the 5:1:1 mix, and growth will be really fast because of the extra room, but if you're using a heavier soil, it's best to not take too large a step up in pot size. You know the details, so no need to go over them again. This plant (scheff) will tolerate REALLY dry soil, so water well & wait almost until it coughs dust before you water again.

Al

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Very nice additions, JoJo!
    I've just returned from a week of camping on the north-coast, so I'm catching up on
    all the postings I've missed!

I completely chop my Wandering Jew a couple times a year.
    In fact, I re-potted all the soil and re-planted rooted sections and new cuttings just
    before I left for vacation. One stem grew three inches while I was gone.

Josh

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Al~ It's not happy outside..lol! it did get some sunburn, but no biggie,(still need to chop it) And it's wilting in the late day heat. It's still in the orig. soil. I will get a better pot this weekend sometime. It's blown over twice in the one it's in. Definately need a heavier pot.

I dont have much shade here. But I will see if I can find it a spot.

"offering the same warranty if it doesn't work. ;o)"
    O.K. No worries..lol..;)

I have no idea why I mentionted pot size..LOL.. I know how it works, so hopefully someone else will learn from it. :)
    I'm going to try and put them in gritty mix. I think I have enough to make it.

" This plant (scheff) will tolerate REALLY dry soil, so water well & wait almost until it coughs dust before you water again."

Are You forgetting where I am.? It doesn't take much to cough dust. LOL!

I had another question.. so will probably be back. :)

Josh!!!
    So good to see YOU! Camping! How Nice! I thought you were a little too quiet here lately..:)
    You got blamed for the new plants. ;) I had the urge to run out a buy something after seeing your money tree. lol... ;)

I'll tackle the WJ soon. I want a bigger pot for it too. It's packed so tight in this one, I can hardly find the soil to see when it's time to water!

Lowes knocked it down to half price because it had some chewed up leaves. Looks like something had a snack attack. lol.

You guys have a great day.
    Be back later. :)
    Thanks!
    JJ

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Yeah, I was off the grid, so to speak...
    I brought my cell-phone along for the sole purpose of texting my buddy on Tuesday to remind him to water my garden. ;)
    Then I turned it off again. Once I have the pics sorted, I'll share the entire vacation.
    In the meantime, here's my Humboldt abode (pardon the pun!):

{{gwi:100584}}

Josh

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Josh!
    That's beautiful! Lucky you! I haven't been camping in a few years now. Long overdue!

Don't blame you for turning off the phone. :)

Have a good day and am looking forward to more pics. :)
    JoJo