Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracaena Massaganea (corn plant) - can I save it?

Posted by gardeningnewbiekc (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 22:28

I've had this corn plant for 10 years. It's about 5' tall, in a 16" pot, three stalks. For the first 7 or so it was quite healthy, even bloomed a few times, all three stalks with very healthy foilage. It is still sitting in exactly the same location in my house but for the last couple of years it seems to be slowly dying. I water it maybe ever 10 days to 3 weeks, soak it till the water runs out. It is very dry when I water again. I haven't fertilized with anything. Should I? I may have used miracle grow once or twice a in the early years but nothing since then. It still gets the occasional new leaves so it's still alive, but just barely. The leaves dry on the ends and then on the sides. Any ideas would be very welcome. It's the only houseplant I have that's not really thriving, but it was my first and I'm kind of fond of it. :)

I have pictures, both of it when it was healthy and now, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to add them here. If someone can tell me, I'll add the pictures!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracaena Massaganea (corn plant) - can I save it?

It not only requires some fertilizing (Where do you think it gets the essential elements required for normal growth and development?) but repotting into some fresh container mix, too.

o
RE: Dracaena Massaganea (corn plant) - can I save it?

gardeningnewbiekc, the pics you want to share need to reside somewhere else on the internet (a photo hosting/sharing site) and are linked to show on the page with HTML code in the message body, like this (change the ()'s to <>'s):
(IMG SRC="http://www.web-address.com/picture.jpg")

Or, if the photo-sharing site does not allow that format, you can use a link like this (change the ()'s to <>'s):
(A HREF="http://www.web-address.com/picture.jpg") name your link (/A)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here