Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eaksqueak

Aspidistra leaf spots, something to worry about?

eaksqueak
10 years ago

I recently received an Aspidistra as a gift. I had been wanting one for a long time and a good friend went out of their way to order one online for me. I am a little bit concerned about the spots on its leaves, though. To my uneducated eye it looks like a fungal infection. Whatever it is, it is only affecting the two larger leaves. The plant has 3 smaller leaves that appear fine. I was hoping someone could tell me whether I am worrying too much. I have other houseplants. Thanks in advance...

{{gwi:100609}}

{{gwi:100611}}

Comments (7)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

...well it looks like nobody's sure enough about anything to say in particular. Sorry, I have no idea either. Love your lamp though, and brick wall. From what's visible of your other plants, they look fantastic!

How's your plant looking after being home for a week? Sounds like it had a trip through the mail? Even for a tough plant, that's got to be a weird, wild experience. Hope it's settling in well.

• eaksqueak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep. I've decided to just keep the leaves dry and not let it touch the other plants. So far the plant appears to be indifferent to its change in latitude. The room used to be the back porch, but we had it enclosed, hence the indoor brick wall. It's great for plants because it faces south and there's a big bay window, but it's not insulated so come winter a lot of the inhabitants will have to migrate elsewhere, which will be interesting since I got a lot of new plants this year. I think they might have to come sit on the sofa with me. I hope they like scifi.

10 years ago

Sounds prudent. Sending good vibes to it and the whole gang at your place. Love hearing how you made your home more suitable, to your liking! Very cool.

As long as you don't end up with something that looks like the pic below, you can tell yourself, "At least it doesn't look like that crazy chick's house in here." If coupling/tripling the plants is something you would enjoy doing and looking at, that could help with space also, that is what I'm trying this year. As you can see it was out of control last winter. This is just the day I brought everything in, sitting willy-nilly, but... by spring, it wasn't much improved, just a little more organized (regarding light, of course!)

Looking here, here, here, here could give you ideas... or nightmares!?

• eaksqueak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of these photos look eerily familiar. When I started buying houseplants last year I really expected more of them to die. Instead I'm living in a jungle.

I like the palm tree in your first link. Sending good vibes to your plant family as well.

10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words and vibes! A pic of that palm from yesterday is below, so before/after.

More leaves = more fresh air. More healthy. Low expectations are great for avoiding disappointment, I always go into new plants with that attitude too. But glad to hear you were pleasantly surprised!

I think those Aspidistras are one of the 'vague green things' that can be commonly seen at the base of trees around this area, so not the sensitive diva that some potted plants are, to cold. How cold do you think it's going to get in that room?

• eaksqueak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, as I understand it, Aspidistras are a common landscaping plant farther south. Maybe they are more affordable when sold as landscape plants, but up north as houseplants they are very expensive and almost impossible to find for sale. Apparently last week was Aspidistra week for me because right after my friend gave me the gift, my local store got some in (I had asked if they could get some in a while back)... so of course I had to buy one from them, too...

At its coldest it gets into the 30s in that room. 40s are more typical for most of the winter, though. The rest of the house is generally in the 50s. As to why I keep it so cold, I have oil heat.

Aspidistra is the classic Victorian houseplant. It ought to work out for me, since I have a Victorian era house, complete with authentic Victorian era cold drafts.

Your palm really does look great. I love house palms. (I used to live in Florida) Do you know which kind that is?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Eak, the Aspidistra can take temperatures below freezing, but won't do well if their containers' freeze.