Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusboss

Too little light?

CactusBoss
10 years ago

Why are the new leaves growing really small? Is it too little light or is it too much electromagnetic radiation from the tv?

Comments (6)

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

Too little feeding, I think. Repot, or give a little plant food.

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's been in that soil for a little over a year. The same thing is happening to my peace lily. And btw the chinese evergreen flowered several weeks ago.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

CB...Your Dieff looks fantastic to me.

What's its age...how long have you had it?

Dieff's are tropical..its needs are fairly demanding.
    Diefs problems arise:

Lack of humidity, 'including fresh, circulating air.'
    Lack of appropiate light.
    Lack of root space.

When did you notice new leaves were smaller than older leaves?
    Is it possible foliage isn't yet mature?

Besides the 3-L reasons, there's daylight to consider.
    Now that days are getting shorter, plants aren't receiving as much sun as they did a month ago.

One option is to place Dieff in a sunnier spot.
    Or set outside.

Repotting is best done in spring, 'only my opinion.' I feel the same about fertilizing, although a half-strength dose wouldn't hurt.
    Again, my opinion withholding fertilizing during prolonged cloudy days-winter.

If a plant is root bound, 'no space for roots to spread,' new foliage can grow smaller or stop growing..
    A larger container should fix the problem. Increase humidity. Place in brighter light. 'If available.'

Repeat. Your Dieff is doing great. Toni

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hopefulauthor, It's an Aglaonema, and now that I think about it, the small leaves may have been caused by me not cutting off the flowers or under fertilization. And it's in a high humidity environment. It flowered a few weeks ago. I've had the plant for about a year, and I noticed the small growth about a month ago. i have a feeling it's a nutrient deficiency but I'm not sure.

This post was edited by CactusBoss on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 15:23

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

CB, you're right, your plant is Aglao. Duh.
    Although there are so many new types, some are hard to distinguish. I should have recognized your Agleo without thinking twice about it.

However, since Ag's and Dieffs are so alike, I stick with what I wrote.
    I haven't had a Dieff since our son was 2-3-yrs old. He took a bite, actually two bites from the trunk.

I do believe Dief soil need to dry out more than Ags. Otherwise, they need similiar care.

In the picture, the younger leaf doesn't look much smaller..How much difference is there between new and old foliage?

Is it in a soil-less mix? If so, plants potted in soil=less mixes need frequent fertilizing.

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There's about a 5 inch difference, and that leaf has been that way for months. the plant is in the old miracle grow mix.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA