Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Advice

Posted by Beth71 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 23:04

I got this at Lowes back in May. I need some advice on how to care for it. The pot does not have a drain hole and I've contemplated drilling a hole in the bottom. I try not to over water, but I never know if or when to water it (especially since there are a few different types of plants). How often should I water and how much? Should I drill a hole in the bottom for drainage? What are some signs of over/under watering? Do I ever need to separate these plants? Can I start a new plant with leave cutting? Does it like to be misted? I keep it indoors and it get lots of light; I would like some advice on light too (does it light direct sun)? Thanks for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Advice

Is it possible to provide a sharper picture, and maybe turn the pot to different angles and post a couple of pics?
I think the front plant is a Fittonia, the rear right looks like a syngonium and the tall one is hard to tell maybe a Croton maybe an Aglaeonema. I can't really tell what that is on the front left.
Not having a drainage hole makes it very difficult, at best the soil eventually sours at worse the plants' roots drown and rot.
It's a nice arrangement but you could do the same by individually repotting them, and placing the pots in a group, or by acquiring a larger pot (with proper drainage holes) and lifting the whole planting into that.
I'm sure you could use that lovely pot for something else - it would also be fine for holding other plant pots, provided they are raised up on stones so they sit clear of any accumulating water.
It's difficult to drill holes in ceramics without cracking the pot but it can be done - maybe your local hardware shop owner could do it or a good handyman neighbour/family member?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here