Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiomiscreant

please help identify this plant!

ohiomiscreant
9 years ago

My coworker recently passed away, and she kept this plant, a tree, at work and always tended to it. Now that she is gone we have no idea what it is, or how to care for it. As u can see, its reached the ceiling, but we aren't sure the proper way to trim it without damaging it. Can anyone tell me what it is? We plan on getting a plaque and keeping it as a memorial to her. Thanks for any help!

Comments (20)

• ohiomiscreant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture

• ohiomiscreant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And one more picture

• alisonoz_gw
    9 years ago

It looks to be a Dracaena marginata - "Dragon Tree" amongst other common names. Your co-worker must have treated it very tenderly to have it reach such height and retain so many leaves. I hope the experts on indoor plants can help you carry on the care.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Sorry about your loss. That's an amazing, unbelievable tree!! Agree with the ID from Alison. I think we would all like to have spoken with your coworker about this tree. I would assume she used distilled water for it, and knew exactly when to add it, letting it get somewhat dry, but not so dry that foliage was discarded, not kept so moist that the foliage turned yellow.

Usually these have a very long length of naked trunk with a 'poof' of leaves at the top, so knowing where to cut isn't a quandary at all. But if one were to cut any of those 3 trunks below the foliage, that would be a severe reduction in height. Having/pruning these trees is something I've been doing for a couple decades, but have never even seen a one like that. The usual result of trimming is the growth of a new top near the top of the stump, so you would want to go about halfway down. I would probably trim them in succession, one at a time, over the course of a year or two. If anyone in the office has an interest, the removed tops can be potted to grow new trees.

Hopefully Al will see this and have some input!

• Jason J
    9 years ago

That is a Beauty.

I would be inclined to chop a hole in the ceiling, instead of pruning

Agreed, I would just cut it down, and stagger the cuts so each 3 trunks are cut at a different height, this would cause multiple sprouts at each cut which would give it a nice bushy form.

I believe that the plant, grew so nice because it is in the right location, plenty of bright light, warm temperature and just enough water.

If you don't want to chop it down, you can just pull the center out of the top of the canes...will slow down growth...

If you do chop it, you could make a lot of new plants to pass around the office!

• ohiomiscreant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! We would hate for something to happen to it since we are keeping it in her memory. I think my coworker is going to consult with a horticulturalist and I also shared this post with her! It used to be on a wide window sill, but grew to tall for that spot, and has been in its current location for a couple years. It seems to be very happy!

• ohiomiscreant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! We would hate for something to happen to it since we are keeping it in her memory. I think my coworker is going to consult with a horticulturalist and I also shared this post with her! It used to be on a wide window sill, but grew to tall for that spot, and has been in its current location for a couple years. It seems to be very happy!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

I think the age of the oldest foliage is something very special. I don't remember ever seeing a dracaena so full. This plant is worth propagating, in case genetics is playing a part in the spectacular foliage retention.

If you do an image search of Dracaena marginatas, you'll see many that look full, but usually it's because the grower pruned judiciously when it came to the ht of the stems. Almost NO photos depict plants of that ht with 3/4 or more of the stems having attached and healthy foliage. My hat's off to your late coworker for the dedication ity took to bring along these/this exceptional plant(s), and my condolences to you for the loss of a friend with a nurturing spirit.

If the plant has to be pruned, I would suggest you incorporate that work into a plan that takes the plant's natural growth cycle into account. If you would like to entertain the thought of having me do the pruning and a repotting of the plant in July, and it's not too far out of my way as I travel to Indianapolis for a bonsai convention on 7/9/15, I would be happy to tend to that chore for you.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Al

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

I would jump and take Al's (tapla) offer immediately...how lucky you are located close.

What a great idea to keep the plant in memory of your friend.
    Good luck with the plant.
    I hope we will see update photos in the future.

Rina

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

This is amazing!Please take als help. I have seen many of these but this is a first!!!

• dbarron
    9 years ago

It is *very* unusual in my experience to not be (as others have said) bare stalks topped with a few leaves.

• ohiomiscreant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much again! She simply used our filtered city water about once a week. The plant sheds a couple leaves here and there, but seems to love its place in our restaurant and our lives :) Al, we are in Uhrichsville Ohio. Not sure which direction or route u take to Indianapolis, but if possible I will talk to my store manager about planning something. My dracaena at home is about 2-3 feet and has the typical poof of foliage on top, which is why I wasn't exactly sure if this was one also, especially due to its height!

• ohiomiscreant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much again! She simply used our filtered city water about once a week. The plant sheds a couple leaves here and there, but seems to love its place in our restaurant and our lives :) Al, we are in Uhrichsville Ohio. Not sure which direction or route u take to Indianapolis, but if possible I will talk to my store manager about planning something. My dracaena at home is about 2-3 feet and has the typical poof of foliage on top, which is why I wasn't exactly sure if this was one also, especially due to its height!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

I'll be needing fir bark by next summer, and my former supplier near Chicago has moved to Madison, WI, so I could incorporate repotting your plant with a stop at Robert's Flower Supply in Columbia Station, which you probably know is a little north, northwest of you. I'm good with whatever you decide, and would be happy to do the work.

Al

• ohiomiscreant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's fabulous! We will work out details as the time gets closer. Thank you! We cherish the memory of our dear friend Cathy, and we r so glad to still have a part of her in our lives :)

• barbmock
    9 years ago

I think this plant is some new variety of dracena, a little different from the marginata we are all familiar with. I believe that I have the same plant. I have had it several years, and it has had no special care at all. The leaves just hang on for years. Here's a photo of mine. Barb

• ohiomiscreant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its beautiful! Here's mine, common variety.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well, I must say it's an improvement from marginalis, the pole tree ;)

• ohiomiscreant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's fabulous! We will work out details as the time gets closer. Thank you! We cherish the memory of our dear friend Cathy, and we r so glad to still have a part of her in our lives :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

This is exciting. I hope the work on this tree is documented with tons of pics! Look forward to them!!