Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perennialfan273

Does anybody grow Moon Valley friendship plant?

perennialfan273
14 years ago

I saw this in a book of tropical plants and I just have to know, is it really as easy as they say to take care of. I've read that it's called "friendship plant" because it roots very easily off of cuttings. I was thinking about posting a request for it on the exchange forum but I want to know whether this plant is what they say it is.

Thank You

Comments (15)

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

I think you'll need a botanical name before you can find much info. I myself have never heard of this plant, so sorry, but I can't help.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

That looks similar to something that was given to me as 'Creeping Charlie'

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Moon Valley is the common name for Pilea. It's been years since I've seen one for sale..HD used to sell these little guys often.

Josh, you're half right. Pilea's grow no larger than 9-10" tall, and do best in small pots. Grown properly, tiny flowers produce, but MV is grown more for their cratery foliage than flowers.

• cdelancey_earthlink_net
    13 years ago

I bought a Moon Valley Pilea today at Wal-Mart. Hope this helps.

• greenzzz
    12 years ago

Very difficult to find moon valley Pilea,I've seen in pics only...I would love to trade cuttings of pileas and peperomia with my succulent collection...Lets trade....Sue

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Toni, 'Moon Valley' is not a common name but a true cultivar name. There are several Pilea involucrata on the market...'Moon Valley' is just one of them.

I just googled Pile involucrata images and learned that 'friendship plant' is, indeed, one of the common names.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Rhizo, yep, Friendship Plant is one of the common names.
    I didn't realize MV was the cultivar..Thanks.

BTW, last week HD had, what looked like 3" potted MV's available.

I don't know if all HD's sell the same plants, but in our store, one aisle has nothing but small plants. In order to find 'X' plant, you have to inspect the shelf, the backside of the shelf, and under the shelf. Toni

• Carolina_bound
    10 years ago

I'd love to trade clippings of my Moon Valley Friendship Plant for other low to medium light house plants.

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    10 years ago

C_b, your plant is so much prettier than mine! I'm too ashamed to take a picture.
    I seem to slowly kill all pilea. My Moon Valley refuses to die, though, so I'm happy.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hi Carolina, welcome to Gardenweb! That IS a great looking plant! I would love to hear about its' conditions, if you feel like yakking about that. How long have you had it? There's an exchange section of this house plant forum, you may want to put a post there.

• Carolina_bound
    10 years ago

Ariel & Purpleinopp,
    Thanks so much! I love her. I bought her about 3 years ago from our local supermarket. She was in one of those time pots for $1.99. She wasn't flowering at that point and I didn't even know to expect flowers. Imagine my surprise when these delicate pale pink flowers bloomed! It goes through cycles when it doesn't bloom at all but I don't mind because the leaves are beautiful all by themselves. As far as care goes, I don't do anything special. She sits in my sitting room on the heater in front of 3 windows. She gets late afternoon sun. I water a few times a week and have never given plant food. I've only repotted twice since bringing her home. I never expected her to do so well, since I don't have a green thumb at all, but since she is I'm afraid to change anything.
    Purpleinoop, I would love to chat about plant care & tips:)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Those flowers ARE cute! Totally agree about the leaves too. You said this plant sits on a heater. Does the heater get hot? Sitting in a sitting room sounds just right, doesn't it? Hahaha!

• Melvin Smith
    6 years ago

Old post I know, but I picked up a friendship plant today at Walmart. It says is's also called an Exotic Angel and the formal name is Pilea Involucrata. It was $2.74 and from Costa Farms

• Cheryl
    6 years ago

In love Carolina_bound!!!!!!!!yoou’ve done well by her.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH