Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perennialfan273

Do ALL houseplants need distilled water to do well??

perennialfan273
14 years ago

Hello

I have a book on houseplants, and for a lot of the plants, the book recommends to water using distilled water. What I want to know is, are there any houseplants that can tolerate tap water?? Also, does the quality of the water really make a huge difference as to how well your plant does??

Comments (7)

• mr_subjunctive
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have only ever used tap water, and my plants are fine. Some plants are touchy about fluoride, but even that isn't really a problem if you're watering thoroughly and then dumping the drainage water out before putting the plant back. The problem is that most people want to give their plants a little bit of water at a time, on a regular schedule, because they don't want to deal with drainage water. This means all the minerals dissolved in the water build up in the soil, and eventually reach levels where they can cause problems for plants.

Water thoroughly (fill the pot with water to the rim, let drain, repeat two or three or four times, allow the water to drain out and return the plant to its regular location) and you should be fine with tap water.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

I, too, have never fretted about water. I don't let watering jugs sit out to reach 'room temperature', or to let the chlorine dissipate either. So far, plants that I've grown personally over the years and professionally in large greenhouses (watering straight from the water hose) have never once shown any sign of problems.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

I too don't worry about it either, especially if my plants are in a good fast draining soil..

The thing I have to worry about is the PH which can be easily corrected. I just use vinegar..

When at all possible, I collect rain water in a barrell and use this when full, or until the cold turns it into a block of ice..

But, my plants do well with both waters...

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

The only plants I know that can NOT tolerate tap water are Carnivorous plants. It also depends on yur local water supply but for the most part most "normal" plants should be fine with local tap. It's probably good to flush them out with rain water once in a while. I try to use rain water as much as possible for ALL my plants.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

It's not so much that there are plants that cannot tolerate most tapwater, it's more that MANY plants cannot tolerate tapwater high in solubles 'plus' a high level of solubles in the soil due to a combination of other factors, chief among them being improper watering practices necessitated by a soil that will not allow you to water correctly w/o the risk of root rot and/or high fertility levels.

Al

• garystpaul
    14 years ago

I use tap water for all my plants, with one exception: gardenias. Years ago I read a culture sheet from a local nursery saying to use distilled water or rainwater on these plants and that made all the difference in blooming. I now fill several 2gal containers from my rain barrels to get them through the winter (though they're still fussy as heck, especially about temps). Gary

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022