Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another ailing corn plant

Posted by mnewson California (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 0:36

Hi,

I have a corn plant that was doing successfully in its former house, but is ailing here. Every so often, I take it outside for watering and air, but that makes it worse. Now, these leaves are getting paler, almost white as if something is sucking the chlorophyll out. I don't detect any pests.

Not sure what to do: more sun/less sun? No water? What kind of fertilizer would help?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another ailing corn plant

When you put it outside, the sun is not able to hit it, is it?The light-colored leaves look awfully bleached. Sun will burn an indoor plant just as quickly as it will burn a person who has never been outside. The corn plant will be perfectly happy to stay indoors; a spot where there's enough light for you to read a book will be enough light for the corn plant. Also, 'canes' don't like to sit in wet soil. Yours has a very small root system; allow the soil to aerate to the point that if you pinch soil from half way down the pot, it will feel almost dry, barely sticking together. Then you can water it enough for a runoff from the drainage holes. You can cut off the brown leaves flush with the stem, and trim the brown tips nicely, with scissors, so that the original shape of the leaf is maintained.

o
RE: Another ailing corn plant

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb.

Good advice, I support every word. Don't think this plant needs fertilizer at the moment because I suspect the roots may be damaged and unable to property utilize it. It sounds like this plant has been in the same soil for a long time. Have you repotted it before? I took some pics when recently repotting my Mom's corn plant. Compare your plants' roots and see if you think they may need attention. If you see the compaction, circling, or find mushy or discolored roots, the repot would probably be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn plant repot

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here