Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Dad's 38-Year-Old Monstera

Posted by John_Alexander 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 0:42

Thought you all might like to get a look at this... this plant is older than me. My mom got it in college in a tiny pot that was small enough for her friend to hide behind her back. That was in 1974. For most of my childhood it was just kind of existing in the background, but since my dad has been caring for it, it just keeps on exploding with new life! I assume it's a monstera of some kind, although it's never had a fruit or a flower.

I kind of wonder what the future holds for this plant. We repotted it a couple of years ago (yes, really), and it's just gone wild. It was growing mostly toward the window with no leaves on the other side, so we turned it and now, as you can see, the other side has filled out. Help! It's taking over Dad's house. We keep moving it back from the window, and it's been years since he's put the Christmas tree in this room. :) We live in Colorado, so moving it outside isn't an option. As you can see, too, there are three big "trunks" hanging outside the pot, getting longer all the time, and as new leaves grow on the ends, the weight causes the trunks to twist and take on the spiral shape you see. I cringe to think of one of them breaking someday. Should something be done to it? Or is it best left alone and happy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Dad's 38-Year-Old Monstera

It's Philodendron bipinnatifidum, also called Tree Philodendron and a few other common names. They can grow quite large but often fall over and "crawl" along the ground. Trunks that have developed their own root system can be cut off and planted.

o

I agree, it's a Philodendron bipinnatifidum, not a monstera, this is a common misidentification.

Yeah I would leave it as it is. You can't usually take a cutting from these types of philos unless there are already roots on the stem. In which case air layering is your best bet.

I have a couple of smaller ones. Yours is amazing for one grown indoors in a cold climate.

o

That's a HUGE beauty! It's almost as old as I am! It must take up half the room.

Thanks so much for sharing. Some one is doing something right.

MIke

o

what a fantastic plant....its beautiful....
I was thinking of getting one of those, but I might not now, my house is not that big and I have lots of plants,
is that critter on the floor under it alive????
I have seen dogs and cats, birds in GW memebers pictures but not that kind of fellow.....thanks for posting the great plant....linda

o

I was thinking of getting one of those, but I might not now, my house is not that big and I have lots of plants,
I have seen dogs and cats, birds in GW memebers pictures but not that kind of fellow.....thanks for posting the great plant....linda

o

o

o

o

Ha ha, I was waiting for someone to comment on the lizard. No, he's plastic, but he seemed to fit well in the jungle that Dad's dining room has become.

o

W O W!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here