Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_alexander_gw

My Dad's 38-Year-Old Monstera

John_Alexander
11 years ago

Thought you all might like to get a look at this... this plant is older than me. My mom got it in college in a tiny pot that was small enough for her friend to hide behind her back. That was in 1974. For most of my childhood it was just kind of existing in the background, but since my dad has been caring for it, it just keeps on exploding with new life! I assume it's a monstera of some kind, although it's never had a fruit or a flower.

I kind of wonder what the future holds for this plant. We repotted it a couple of years ago (yes, really), and it's just gone wild. It was growing mostly toward the window with no leaves on the other side, so we turned it and now, as you can see, the other side has filled out. Help! It's taking over Dad's house. We keep moving it back from the window, and it's been years since he's put the Christmas tree in this room. :) We live in Colorado, so moving it outside isn't an option. As you can see, too, there are three big "trunks" hanging outside the pot, getting longer all the time, and as new leaves grow on the ends, the weight causes the trunks to twist and take on the spiral shape you see. I cringe to think of one of them breaking someday. Should something be done to it? Or is it best left alone and happy?

Comments (6)