Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny Fly Monsters From Hades

Posted by tima9209 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 11, 10 at 0:44

My house has recently been infested by tiny flies that love to tease people by flitting about their faces and performing endless stupid aerobatics in front of computer monitors. Words cannot express how much I've come to hate these little creeps. It's a good thing my lights aren't clapper-controlled, or it would look like a nightclub in here. Anyway, after several days of catching many dozens in bowls of apple cider vinegar/Dawn solution, it finally occurred to me to drape some Glad wrap over my houseplants between the base of the plants and the tops of the pots. Sure enough, the next day I observed a few flies confined by the wrap and thus identified where they're breeding, which is in a large pot holding a Chinese Evergreen. Is there anything I can do to save this plant? I'm ready to kill it with fire to destroy my tiny tormenters, but I really do like the plant and would prefer to save it. Using insect spray designed for application to plants was no help at all; I tried it three days in a row on all my plants, and I think it acted as a reproductive stimulant. Fortunately, it looks like only one plant is infested. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny Fly Monsters From Hades

It sounds like you have fungus gnats. They are super annoying but they can be eliminated. Look for mosquito dunks, put a bit in your watering can, and water it with that water. It kills the larva and then you eventually have no more adults either. It lasts for a while, so you don't have to toss out the dunk for a few months, I think; just add more water to it. You can also sprinkle those mosquito bits (I think that's what they're called) on the soil, but I haven't really been able to find those in the store, only online.

You can also get rid of them by keeping the top inch or so of the soil dry, but that only works if you have a plant that doesn't mind drying out a bit. If it prefers to stay moist, this would do more harm than good.

o

If you're trapping some with the vinegar solution, you might also have fruit flies. Fungus gnats are not likely to be attracted to the vinegar.

o

Thanks, will look for the dunks. Since moving the offending plant outside a couple of days ago, the last 24 hours have been gnat-free. I've never known such peace.

o

Ive had them lately too and noticed them after I bought miracle grow potting soil from Lowe's. I'm wondering if they came from the soil because the bags have holes and are stored outside.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 9, 10 at 17:05

You usually have to work pretty hard at keeping a fast draining, well-aerated soil wet enough for your container's gnat populace to be happy and prolific; and when using the heavy soils they prefer, you can easily afford to allow the soil in the top 1/2-3/4 of the pot to become quite dry between waterings - your plant's roots will thank you too. Since the gnats prefer a wet soil environment, a lighter hand on the watering can is often all that's needed to keep them under control.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here