Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pumpkineater2

Dracaenas!

pumpkineater2
10 years ago

Come on! Post your dracaena pictures! Lets see what kinds and shapes and sizes of dracaena everybody has! Mine is lemon lime!

Comments (23)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

That's a great pic!

I have about half-a-dozen different ones, one of my fav genuses. Just put pics of one here, so won't repeat that one here.

This little tree (D. marginata) used to have another top, the 2 existing shoots came up from the crown when it was bout 6-7 years old. When I broke the original, taller top, it left a crotch in the trunk, which has turned out to be a perfect spot for a little Tillandsia.

{{gwi:74168}}

I think this one's a 'Ricky.'

{{gwi:98121}}

Gramma gave me this D. marginata 'Tricolor' tree about 20 years ago. It's had various trunks and tips removed over the years. It used to have heart-leaf Philo at its' base, but I got bored with that and now it has some Begonias, Alternanthera, Hypoestes, Tradescantia.

{{gwi:98104}}

Here's a pot of the tops that used to be attached to that big tree on the floor, and a 'Janet Craig compacta' at the top.

{{gwi:98100}}

The pot at bottom right has 4 kinds of Drac and Tradescantia spathacea. Sad corn plant is chlorotic from all of the rain.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Pumpkin, is your Dracaena warneckii?
    I love the light and dark green plus white stripes.

I cannot tell the difference between striped dracaenas and D. warneckii.

Purple. Your porch looks fantastic. I see your Till on marginata..it's doing great.

Althought it's not Drac, your Elkhorn? Fern is amazing. Bet it loves your climate!!!

One of my favorite Dracaenas is goldianna. I bought one, it lived a year, then died. But, it was a beauty.

{{gwi:101037}}

Don't know this guys species, but it's Drac.

{{gwi:101038}}

Another unknown species

{{gwi:101039}}

Two old Dracs that won't grow.

{{gwi:101040}}

Very dusty D. lime-light

{{gwi:101041}}

This Drac was given to me by a neighbor...she bought the Drac for summer, was planning on tossing. She first asked if I wanted it. It has several different color Dracs in one pot.
    The Dra in this pic is my favorite of the bunch.

{{gwi:101042}}

D. marginata.

{{gwi:93893}}

Another unknown

{{gwi:101043}}

Dracaena Draco

{{gwi:101044}}

D. Song of India

{{gwi:101045}}

SOI is in back of Gold Light.

D. Janet Craig
    {{gwi:101046}}

Think that's it. lol

Out of all my Dracaenas, wish I could keep Goldianna alive.

Toni

• elkay_gw
    10 years ago

LOVE dracaenas! I have a few.........

{{gwi:73039}}

{{gwi:101048}}

{{gwi:83507}}

{{gwi:101050}}

{{gwi:101052}}

{{gwi:101053}}

{{gwi:101055}}

{{gwi:101056}}

{{gwi:101057}}

{{gwi:101058}}

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Elkay, you DO have beautiful Dracaenas.

Are any warneckii?

What are the last two pics?

Aww, cute pooches. Both are posing for a picture. :) Toni

10 years ago

Toni, your pics reminded me, I forgot bout my D. surculosa (formerly godseffiana) and D. sanderiana. And now wondering if my 'Ricky' is a 'Draco.'

I gave up trying to memorize stripes for the names of the fat-leaf ones, which all seem like they have several names anyway, depending on who's selling it or giving an ID. "They" can't even agree what species some are, and would soon change it if I learned anyway - Bah! Life's too short! Also prevents me from buying another one based on name. If I can't tell for sure at the store if it's diff from the one I already have at home, I don't need it, not falling for that nonsense.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Ya mean it's not godseffiana anymore?

GAH!! ...I liked that name too! :(

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Here's little margi...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

...and this is big margi(who's nowhere NEAR the size of some of you guys' margis...lol I've SEEN!).

• elkay_gw
    10 years ago

Toni - yep, most of my dracaenas are Warneckii. The last two are Lemon Lime and a regular dracaena Deremensis Warneckii.

I also have one dracaena fragrans, one marginata and one sol cane.

• pumpkineater2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple, I love your plants! It's funny when you say that you've "beheaded" something. It makes me laugh! I wish I lived In a climate like yours so I could grow houseplants outside.
    Toni, I believe it is warneckii. It looks like the pictures I googled. Your two unknowns look to be the same thing I assume?They look awesome.
    Elkay, I saw your second to last photo and now I can't wait until mine gets that big! It's epic! leaves all the way up the trunk!

I really need to get myself a marginata of my own!

10 years ago

Thanks, Pumpkin! A ton of great specimens here, many blowing mine away! "9B" doesn't really convey the burning heat and dry air of a desert, does it? I didn't know what you meant until your profile reminded me. Yet you still get frost? That doesn't really seem fair, but any location is not perfect.

...now back to the beheadings!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Purp...I didn't see your 'here' link...I'll have to check it out.

No,, Ricky isn't Draco. When smaller, less than 1-foot, leaves stand erect, and very firm. Semi-sharp edges, too.

Surculsa or godseffiana, I would love to have, surculsa 'Milky Way.'
    If you get a chance, Google. OMG!

I had enough problems memorizing the old names. As long as a name, 'old or new' is listed online I'll stick with it.

Right, life IS too short.

Asleep, how did you get your Dracaena to get so tall and full? Whatever its current name happens to be. :)

What type of light, temp, fertilizer, etc? I want my guys to grow..

Either, or, Little and Big Marge look healthy.

Elkay. Plant in photo 2 looks like Warneckii. Other stripped Draacaenas are a mystery to me.

I've never heard of sol cane. Will have to Google.
    Okay, I Google. Sheesh, all stripes look similiar. lol

Pumpkin, thank you.
    Actually, both unknown Dracaenas are probably a different cultivar. The larger has very dark edges with white centers, the smaller has medium green edges with multi-color whites blended with green..

Purp, what 'or whom:)' are you beheading??? lol. Toni

• pumpkineater2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No ,purp, I don't think "9b" specifically means hot dry desert, But In the summer you can fry an egg outside and in winter If we have a cold enough night, you can ice skate on your pool :)
    Toni, whatever they are, They are very nice. Have you had them for a while?
    As for Purp, Whoever dares to get too close. lol!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Howdy Pumpkin,

Thanks again.

The darker leaf Dracaena was purchased, 7/11/09, from a seller on Ebay.

Here's a picture, after its first repot.

{{gwi:101059}}

A second picture of the lighter green Drac.
    {{gwi:101060}}

The second was purchased at our grocery store. lol.
    The name under the pic says, Curly Dracaena, but like most tags, I believe it was mislabeled. There's not much curl to foliage. I've seen photos of true D. curly.

Toni

• ed1315
    10 years ago

Here's mine!

• pumpkineater2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ed, what do the flowers smell like?

• ed1315
    10 years ago

punkineater: They smell like Honeysuckle

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

It has been nice to see so many nicely grown specimens. I had a Janet Craig given to me by a neighbor about 8 years ago, but it succumbed to the Great Soil Mealybug culling. I have seen so many that were poorly grown I never really had a hankering for one. I have admired Lemon-lime in the store, but never bought. Recently I was kind of down and I bought this one because it looked so cheery in the store. I'm not sure if I will like it for the long term, but I really did like seeing it's bright red roots. I guess I liked the whole plant. I was surprised when I googled it up when I got home to see photos of the giant Dracaena trees in the wild. I guess this one is used a lot as a screen in a warm climate-cheer for your patio.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Ed, I can smell the flowers....

It's been years since my Dracs flowered, but when they did, it was always in winter. December.
    Maybe blooming time depends on where one resides, and Dracaena is getting enough light.

Aseed...sorry you weren't feeling well. I hope you're better.

A plant can cheer us up at times

BTW, beautiful Dracaena..nice colors, healthy foliage.

Speaking of Dracs and blooms.

Every Drac I've seen in bloom is either Corn Plant or Janet Craig..Wonder if stripped varieties flower??? Toni

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

OK, can someone ID this Dracaena for me. Label says Janet Craig but I have seen others claiming to be Janet Craig but look different.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I'm taking a guess, but is there is a smaller version to 'Janet Craig' called 'Janet Craig compacta.'

Planto

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

How big can I expect it to get?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Bruce,
    Hmm... websites say anything from one foot to three feet lol. All seem to agree that while 'Janet Craig' can reach up to ten feet tall, the compacta form doesn't get nearly that tall.

I had to look it up, as I don't own one and wasn't sure myself.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 22:24

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz