Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting spider plant

Posted by DevaFreya none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 1:41

I recently bought a few discount (read: dying) spider plants, including one that I bought today.

I'm wondering where the "soil" level should be in relation to the leaves and root system. How it came from the store, the soil level is up past the joint where the roots meet the leaves, such that the leaves are very much touching the soil. One of my past discount spider plants died of rot within a week after purchasing, seemingly because of the leaves were touching the not-well-drained soil.

Is that ideal? My gut says that the soil level should be at or below where the leaves meet the roots. Is that the case?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting spider plant

The potting mix should cover the roots, leaving the stems (and much of the crown) exposed. Your instincts are exactly right.

o

• Posted by dsws none (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 9:40

I recently re-potted my spider plants. Well, I split one of my spider plants into four. Here's a thread where I posted pictures of one of them.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg0910550617315.html?6

The second post has a picture showing a new shoot coming up next to a re-potted spider plant. Off to the right is one of the leaves coming up from under the peat-pudding potting medium. The lowest leaves are that deep under the soil, but the plant is producing vigorous new growth, both the new shoot and up at the top. There is one dead leaf in the foreground, but I think it was damaged as I hacked the plant apart.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to just the picture

o

Thanks! They definitely have it sitting deeper in the pot than that. No wonder the last one rotted and died on me so quickly.
I'll repot it a bit shallower, and hope it makes it! It actually doesn't look too bad, so I think it has a chance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here