Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnamp14_gw

Need a plant hanger- without nails or screws!

donnamp14
17 years ago

Hi! Does anyone know of a plant hanger that goes over the window and is not screwed in? I saw one a few years ago that slipped behind the molding and seemed sturdy. I have such a small space for my ivy that I thought I'd try one of these, but I can't find one. HELP! Thanks!

-Donna

Comments (31)

• gw:plant_babies
    17 years ago

This is a great idea! I think I'll check into that too.

you might design and make your own from supplies found at home depot/lowe's.

:)

• vitalia1
    12 years ago

I am really looking hard for a plant hanger that goes over the window and is not nailed in. It slips behind the molding. donnamp14 posted this question a few years ago. I am new here and am looking fo one also. Anyone know of a source? Thanks!

• lindag4016
    12 years ago

I just read about the need for the window casing plant hanger. I am also in need for a window casing plant hanger. Has anyone found them yet? Thank you.

• chickenman21
    10 years ago

Did anyone ever come up with a source for these? I had some many years ago and they are great, but extensive web search has come up dry.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

I found one way to hang a plant without using screws.

Does anyone use wreath hangers, used to hang wreaths on a door/

Last year, I ran across our reindeer wreath holder. I placed it on the door..it's perfect. i have a plant on the part that holds a wreath.
    In fact, I've been looking for 2 more at reasonable prices. The door is wide and long enough to hand 3 plants.

No screwing, no drilling..Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I'd like to at least see a pic of what this would look like. I can't picture it.

"Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"

• beth95
    10 years ago

I've been looking for a hanger like you describe for months now. The wreath hook is an excellent idea, but you have to be able to find one that's 1) the right width, 2) thin and flexible enough to slip behind the moulding at the top of the window if necessary, and 3) able to support the weight of your plant and its pot, which might be heavier than a holiday wreath. So far, no luck.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

I would just go down to my local hardware and look around at the various kinds of hook and things, When I was in college about forty years ago the dorm I was in was from the 1800's, and we weren't allowed to put anything into the lath and plaster, and no tape for posters and things either. So we had "molding hooks". Surely you can still buy such a thing? Here is a link to some. Looks like you can get them at Lowe's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Molding hooks

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Not the best photo...it's really dark...

{{gwi:101359}}

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Beth..actually, the wreath hangers I've seen are pretty standard size.
    Guess they'd have to be..if not, windows/doors would have to be opened a tad for the hanger to fit..which means, people in cold climates would freeze they're buns off. lol.

Purple, don't know if your 'Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat,' comment was meant for my wreath post..ROFL. lolol.. You come up with some good ones.

10 years ago

LOL TY! Just a general comment on the discussion, the idea of which seems like magic to me. I'd love to hang more plants in here. Dangling from the ceiling is all I have, except one front window that has a really wide, old-school wood casing. There's a lantern hook protruding from that window.

Thinking about getting a rolling clothes rack to wheel some outside on nice days. Staggering the heights, I think 7 would fit, maybe only 5.

• mdent21
    8 years ago

I have one of those hangers....cant find another !!!!

• Joan McClusky
    8 years ago

Has anyone been able to find these. I had one and don't know where it went. I thought I ordered it thru some catalog.

• missmusicjunkie
    7 years ago

I had several of these but have only been able to find one after my move. These are amazing! You simply tap the back with a hammer and it is very sturdy. It is so simple, someone should be able to design.

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yes, I had those too! black ones, wow that was awhile ago. in our other house. Wonder where they are now? hmmm.

I have a bow window on the south side..We mounted a 8 ft. wooden pole above the window so I can hang my plants. It's a thick pole.

• tomchampagne
    6 years ago

02/24/2018 I have one and am looking for more. I am champagnetom@yahoo.com

• mar kelleher
    5 years ago

I bought some many years ago from that old Lillian Vernon catalog. They don't carry them anymore.

• HU-223982763
    2 years ago

Best bracket ever! Someone needs to start making them. Used to be cheap and at places like Woolworth's or Anne and Hope's. I keep searching online but nothing like it!

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    2 years ago

interesting! do those pierce the wood at all, or just use gravity to stay on? I couldn't tell.

2 years ago

I never did add this pic 7 yrs ago. It's brackets for a closet bar, and a length of chain link fence top rail.

• Kelly Duguay
    2 years ago

I only have one of the grab and slip behind hangers, I thought they'd be easy to find....definitely not!

• HU-844871025
    2 years ago

It's good to know others remember the no-drill plant hangers that could be wedged behind a window's wood trim!!! I used to have some years ago and loved them. Recently been searching for them, but has been unable to find them anywhere so far. I'm thinking I'll try Craig's List in case someone may have some from years ago and is selling them. PLEASE, if anyone finds where to purchase these plant hangers, post the information. I'll come back hopefully with any info I find.

• Tiffany W.
    2 years ago

You can buy these from kwik hang

• HU-844871025
    2 years ago

TIFFANY W., THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTION!!! I was familiar with the kwik-hang curtain rod holders which I have seen advertised online. I knew they could be an adequate substitute and thought to myself, if only they made hooks for placement at the center of a window instead of only their popular, end of the window frame bracket. Because of your suggestion and picture example, I have learned that kwik-hang in fact does have a bracket that can be placed along the top of a window casing (the center support curtain rod bracket)! GREAT, I can use this bracket for some of my windows where there's no other obstruction. However, the brackets wouldn't work in my windows that have a high mounted curtain rod or blinds that are not mounted inside the window frame. I still would like to find the original behind the window frame bracket for its large arch that extends a distance away from the window. That being said, I'm going to order enough of the kwik-hang center support curtain rod brackets for the windows that I can use them. They should be a good alternative. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for replying to many of our inquiries!

Adell

• Tiffany W.
    2 years ago

I just ordered some kwik-hang bracktes myself. I didn't know the other behind the window frame brackets existed until I found this thread, but now I will be on the look out!

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

I am not sure this is what people are looking for but here is something similar. https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-self-gripping-hangers-97494.html

• petrushka (7b)
    2 years ago

Search for ’molding hooks’ : most are inconspicous and inexpensive and in many designs.

the original arched one though is more of an artizanal hook and most would be found only in specialty fancy old fashioned garden shops.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

Question for people using these - are they safe? Is the window molding strong enough and sufficiently secured to the walls to support containers hanging to them? I ask as someone who hasn't seen how these things are attached to the walls.

• Carl Ceppaluni
    last year

I had the original hooks in 1973 when my husband and were in an apartment. They were fantastic! We moved in 1974 and they were lost in our move. I haven’t been able to find them since! I am still looking for them every chance I get! Oh, how I miss them!

• Barbara R
    last year

Feb 2023; still searching for these with no luck 😡