Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas cactus

Posted by ninecrow England (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 8:42

OK I'm SURE This has been asked Before...

But what is it that Makes Them Flower, Short Days, Temp, Both or Will He Flower Any Way?

The Reason I'm asking is that I've moved Mine from the Bedroom to the sitting as I NEVER Get to Enjoy the Floors in the bed Room. Plus I need Him to Stop People Looking in......
Thanks Guys

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Christmas cactus

Hi Ninecrow,

Actually, short days prompt CC/TC into bloom, but cool/cold temps work, too.

Since I never know what I'll be doing at precisely 5:PM, daily, 'to cover CC/TC,' instead they're kept outside until first and/or second frost or once buds set in.
When buds are sturdy enough, indoors TC come, placed in a cool, bright room.

There are a few ppl I've known who did nothing w/their CC/TC, yet their holiday plants flowered away. No short day treatment, no cold temps. So, nothing is impossible.

Long ago, before I was aware cold temps would promote buds, I tried the short-day treatment, but my CC/TC never bloomed. So, discovering the easy task of leaving plants outside made a complicated task, simple.

If your bedroom light isn't turned on after 'X' time, your CC should flower. Toni

o

I'm growing indoors only in an apartment. Mine didn't bloom until the year my kitchen fixtures were out for several months. When the plants had absolute dark at night (rather than the usual kitchen lights), they bloomed.

o

Thanks Guys, Hope this Move Won't make Him sStop Fowering...

o

Ninecrow..as long as your CC isn't budding, relocating shouldn't be a problem.
It's said, CC/TC shouldn't be rotated or moved once buds form, otherwise they'll drop.

Is your bedroom brighter or shadier than its previous spot? Cooler or warmer?

Will outdoor lights, 'stop lights, etc,' aim at your CC in the evening? Toni

o

Cooler at the Moment a Lot Lighter too as I'm in Here all the Time and Not only that the Curtains are Left open in the Sitting Room at Night (I'm on the 1st floor) because of Draven and My Passiflora

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here