Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diamondm_gw

Where can I find...?

diamondm
16 years ago

Cristia obcordata? I think it's also called 'Butterfly stripe'. Anyone know a reliable source? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• nanw_4wi
    16 years ago

This vendor has the 'subcordata' (the reddish one).
    I've ordered from them before, and their plants are good quality.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eldonaccess.com

• bodiggly
    16 years ago

Try Plants Delight Nursery. I believe I saw it in their catalog. They do have a website. Very reputable nursery.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Diamond..beware of this plant..LOL.
    I bought one this summer, it started losing leaves during shipping..several leaves fell inside the box, and things just got worse as time went by.
    They need a LOT of humidity..some sites state they need sun, others say they prefer shade. I even started a post on the Florida Forum, asking if anyone grew this plant and if they did, could they please advise me on its care.
    There are two versions of the Christia. One has green and yellow leaves, the other purple and I believe green..They're beautiful plants, definately need a lot of care. But maybe you'll have better luck. Ebay has quite a few for sale..
    A guy who I've bought plants from in the past has them for sale on Ebay..He goes by the name, flowercowboyman, also has a nursery called Secret Garden..I think he owns Rare Tropical Plants, too. I believe his Butterfly's go for 12.99 plus shipping.
    If you go for it, I wish you the best of luck..Please let me know how it turns out..I'm curious if these plants can really be grown indoors..Or are you in a warm climate where it can be overwintered outside? Toni

• nanw_4wi
    16 years ago

I've owned this plant too, and failed miserably with it!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

I am new to house plants forum, I just got 2 of each plants from ebay. I am in hot an humid Florida so I'll let you know in about 2 weeks or so if they are still living or not. Doesn't sound too encouraging about these plants. Mine are out on the lanai.
    Jan

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Jan, yes, please keep us posted on their progress..You got boty colors? They're beautiful plants, the foliage is outstanding.
    I was so desparate, I popped in the Fl forum to ask if anyone grew the Christia there..the responses didn't sound promising.
    What is a lanai? LOL Toni

• PRO
    16 years ago

It's only been 4 days but so far so good, just thought I share photos.
    {{gwi:101378}}
    {{gwi:101379}}

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Jan, your Christia's are beautiful..I really hope they do well for you..Do you have them in the house or outside? Toni

• PRO
    16 years ago

Toni, thanks! they seems to be happy in my east facing lanai under truss. I hope they continue to be happy. I am going to wait until soil is almost dried before watering again.
    Jan

• PRO
    16 years ago

Update on these plants. They are still doing great but I need to find brighter location because the newer leaves dull color. I did research on line for care instruction, it said to put in shady area but I think they need to be in brighter area not direct sun. I am thrill they are doing good so far. Knock on wood!!!!

• clibanarius
    15 years ago

Okay, I finally got a Christia obcordata from Glasshouseworks a few weeks ago. It looked fine for a few days, but since then it's started dropping leaves, as hopefulauthor described. I too have been puzzled by the contradictory care instructions on line, and wonder if folks here have some experiences to share concerning this fabulous if apparently temperamental species.

Cheers,

Alan