Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thrips on Amazon lily (Eucharis)

Posted by north53 1b Manitoba (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 9:26

I care for the plants at the local library as a volunteer. For some time I've been struggling to rid this plant of thrips. Last year I brought the plant home, so I could spray it on a regular basis. I used Safer's Endall, a pyrethrum based product. Then I re-potted the bulbs in fresh potting mix. For awhile I didn't see any sign of the bugs, but now they are starting up again.
I could just scrap the plant, but I hate to be defeated and it is a lovely plant. Before I abused it last summer, it was blooming regularly. The concern is that untreated, this infestation spreads to some of the other plants.
The library is a big bright airy place and the plants thrive and give a tropical feel to the space.
Can anyone give me suggestions on what to try next? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thrips on Amazon lily (Eucharis)

I'm afraid that you may never completely rid your plants of the thrips, but you can certainly hope to keep them under control. To do so, you will likely have to use a variety of methods.

I'd certainly apply the Safer's product again, as long as it is listed for houseplants (and indoor use). You should also try insecticidal soap (Safer is just one of many brand names). Neem oil is listed as a decent thrip control, too. Switch out your treatments on a regular basis....never use them all in one fell swoop.

Whatever you decide to use, make sure that you read the label thoroughly and follow the instructions. Never use anything on indoor plants that does not expressly come with those specific instructions that it is safe to do so.

Does any of this help at all?

o

I do have insecticidal soap and neem oil. I know I wasn't having any success with the insecticidal soap on its own, which is why I switched to the Endall. I don't want to use that indoors though, even if it is supposed to be safe. I've read conflicting reports about pyrethrin toxicity.
It's discouraging to think I can't get rid of them though.

o

It can be very difficult to totally eradicate a very persistent and resilient pest. I'd aim for the kind of control that needs attention three or four times a month....maybe less!

You are right in being cautious about the pyrethrin. It can cause problems for a pretty large percentage of the population. Is this product even labeled for indoor use? That is a very strict guideline to follow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here