Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cleo_13

Spider Plant help

Grace
10 years ago

I got my little spider plant at a yard sale, and put it with my other plants. Unfortunately for it, I have two cats. Needless to say, the cats loved it, and now all it's leaves have been chewed down to a few inches (or less). They also knocked it off the shelf, so now I need to re-pot it. My question is, can it be saved? If so, I'll put it out of their reach, but it might not get enough light somewhere else. How much do they need, anyways?

Comments (13)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Cleo,

Cwazy-kitty-kats. :)

Most likely, your Spider Plants are salvageable.

The chewed leaves may brown...if they do cut closest to the soil line.

New leaves will grow, but it might take time.

Spiders do wel in bright light. Do you have east or unobstructed north windows?
    Tall shelf?

What about placing in a hanging basket?

In the meantime, place greens for your cats to munch on.
    Both cats and dogs need greens, which is usually the reason they'll nibble on plants and grass.
    They enjoy playing with Spider babies, too..for the heck of it.

Speaking of babies...does your Spider have shoots/pups? Or were they nibbled too?

Do your cats bother other plants? Toni

• BronwynH
    10 years ago

There are much more knowledgeable people on this forum than me, so they can correct anything I get wrong. But it sounds to me like your spider plant should be salvageable.

I recently had a spider plant in a hanging basket which started to die for what at first seemed no reason. During it's recovery, which involved re-potting it into non-hanging baskets my cat ate a large quantity of it. It's still with us and starting to look normal again. So if your plant is healthy in the first place it should be fine.

When you re-pot it I'd recommend putting it in potting soil meant for cactus. The regular potting soil was retaining too much moisture for my plant, but it seems much happier in the cactus stuff.

As to light I have mine on the wall to the left of a west facing balcony window. The light is partially blocked by the balcony above us and as it's not in front of the window it only gets whatever lights 'turns the corner' so to speak. Again, it finally seems happy. So medium-low-ish.

Others on this forum have also recommended not watering with tap water as spiders are sensitive to the chemicals. I use water from my fish tank or water that's been left out overnight.

I do have an older plant that's been in brighter light, is planted in regular potting soil and is watered with regular tap water and seems to do fine. But I think that plant may be the exception to the rule.

This is just personal experience stuff and what been recommended to me by others on the forum, but I hope it helps.

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

Can you post a picture? Even if it had all of its leaves chewed off It should grow back. How big is the plant? It might survive but its hard to tell without a photo. Light levels for spider plants vary quite a bit depending on If it has variegation or not. They can even take direct sunlight if you can acclimate them to it.

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

Can you post a picture? Even if it had all of its leaves chewed off It should grow back. How big is the plant? It might survive but its hard to tell without a photo. Light levels for spider plants vary quite a bit depending on If it has variegation or not. They can even take direct sunlight if you can acclimate them to it.

• Grace
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the very late updates.

I have an east facing window, but it is within reach of my cats. I currently have it in a south facing window, is that too bright? There are no offshoots, it was a small one to begin with. My cats have in the past eaten African Violets, and for some odd reason they like Venus fly traps better than catnip (which they don't seem attracted to).

I also grow succulents, so I've got some cactus soil. Should I wait for more recovery before re-potting? I've been watering it with tapwater, but I can switch to the distilled water that my Venus fly traps use.

Here's a picture.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Cleo, do you have macrame?

If so, you can place your Spider in any window without fearing your kitty-cats will nibble the leaves.

Weather or not your south is too sunny depends on 1. do you have curtains/blinds? Is there a nearby building or tree?

My south LR windows aren't all that bright, mainly due to a tree. My low-light Philodendrons thrive in south windows.
    So it depends.

Is there two types of Spiders? One leaf looks entirely different than the others. Toni

• Grace
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What's macrame? I'll look that up now. No, there aren't any blinds or trees in that window. I presume that's too bright then. I know nothing about spider plants, but it does look like more than one plant is in there. Don't know about them being different kinds though.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I would have no doubt they can recover, I'd put them in a bigger pot as soon as you are able. Spider plants make huge roots and that little pot will be too constrictive very soon. They are great in a hanging basket, agreed. Just make sure there is at least one hole at the actual bottom of the pot. Most of these have a hole that's recessed about 1/2 inch above, which allows 1/2 inch of water to stand in the bottom of the pot. That will rot roots.

The south window should be fine. The new leaves won't have any adjustment to make to that much sun, whether the plant was used to that before or not. In a hanging pot, that exposure should be somewhat reduced. The higher up a plant is, the less direct light it will get, unless your window goes all the way to the ceiling.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Cleo..

Sorry, macrame is a braided/threaded rope-like material plants are placed in, to hang.
    In other words, a hanging basket.

Any hanging pot will do....doesn't have to be made of clothe material.

Purple. Do you see the different foliage? One leaf has veins/lines. Reminds me of Ornamental Grass..an indoor/outdoor plant.
    Wish I could recall its botanical name

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I'm not sure the lines are variegation, just kinda looks like an older, dying leaf but I wouldn't want to place a bet either way.

• jacquimartel14
    9 years ago

My spider plant got to much sun and the leaves are burnt and dying will it survive

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

as long as it didnt get hot enough to kill the roots, it should be fine. Just keep it out of direct sun until it recovers. I have had a spider plant lose all of it's foliage due to frost, and it came back easily. They store a lot of water and nutrients in their roots.

• jacquimartel14
    9 years ago

I'm hoping I didn't fry the roots. The soil was still alittle moist I watered it this morning with so marigrow hopefully that helps