Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need recs for best hanging houseplant base/water catcher

Posted by philosopher Zone 5a WI (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 10:18

hi all--

for my hanging plants, i need a source for a sturdy water catching dish to go under the pot. (i am having a brain spasm, b/c i can't remember what those things are called.) ideally, the dish needs to be rigid (so that it doesn't buckle under the weight of the pot) and deep (so it can hold more water).

for those of you who may comment about having my plants in standing water: i typically drain off the excess water later in the day. i need the water dish because some of my plants immediately drain most of the water out and then re-absorb it over the next several hours.

thanks in advance for any vendor recommendations!

kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need recs for best hanging houseplant base/water catcher

i need the water dish because some of my plants immediately drain most of the water out and then re-absorb it over the next several hours. You may want to investigate to see if these plants need repotted (and a root trim.) The other issue that concerns me is if these pots have mostly peat in them. If so, when you do repot, try to find a soil without peat. It holds too much moisture until it is suddenly so bone dry that it takes forever for it to rehydrate.

Regarding the saucer, I'm having a hard time picturing how you would add one to a hanging basket that doesn't come with one attached? Macrame holders? I also wasn't sure if you are interested in shelling out some cash or wanted a more frugal "what I have around the house" approach...?

o

I think the words you're looking for are drip tray or drip pan. A simple google search under the phrase "hanging basket drip tray" turned up the following site, which is just one of many....

Hope this helps.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanging Basket Drip Tray

o

thank you, brodyjames! i will check that site out.

purpleinopp: at least one of the plants (a huge iron cross begonia) could use a root trim, but the other ones simply have a very light soil that doesn't initially absorb water.

o

Philosopher, I bet your Begonia is something!

If looks aren't at issue (cache pot will be hidden, perhaps inside a basket or larger pot) how about plastic food tubs? You know, yogurt, salsa or whip containers?

Or cruise the tableware aisle of your local thrift store for soup plates or cereal bowls? Plastic cereal bowls?

Good Luck!
GB

PS - at the risk of sounding preachy, if your potting mix is light because it is composed of perlite & peat, stab a skewer in the middle of the root ball after watering to see if the center is absorbing water. In my experience it can be surprisingly dry in there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here