Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusmcharris

Lucky Alabamans and Neighbours

Something that doesn't come along often enough for y'all.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0910284227425.html

What a great idea. In my many years of involvement with the San Diego C&S Society, we never had a pure swap 'em event (there is a trade table that's an adjunct to the monthly meeting, but the event above is pure genius thinking).

Here is a link that might be useful: C&S Swap

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 10:37

Comments (5)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

The Alabama swap is an annual event. People must bring 'something ' to trade....not necessarily plants. Baked goods, garden produce, potting soil, pots, gardening books, etc. are examples of good trade items. This is NOT a sale....bring worthy items or plants to trade. There's also a pot luck lunch!

Anyone within driving range of Oak Mountain State Park should check out the Alabama Forum for more information.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rhi,

Does someone also annually bring a bunch of succulents to swap, 'cause if there is, she/he should be given a greenhouse to grow them in.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Most regional GW forums have one (or more) swaps, of whatever people want to share. Went to one in Columbus OH many times, there was everything there from perennials, to tropical house plants, seeds, you name it. Went to one in FL last weekend with a heavy emphasis on seeds but other things as well, came home with a couple Cycads, of all things. One next month near Mobile I'm considering with emphasis on edibles and tropical-looking stuff.

I don't know what forum might be best suited to check, for a swap near where you are, if such is not found on Canada forum. You would probably already know better than I would. If there are enough GW'er's close by, you could organize it yourself. Park shelters are a great place to have them, usually very inexpensive to rent (ask each person to donate a dollar or two.) The person who organizes isn't expected to spend much money, just organize, I've done it before. I bought little things like name tags and a couple plastic table covers, delegated the rest of the responsibilities to whoever volunteered. Just gotta make sure everything's covered by someone.

But for each thing you give away, you have room to bring a new one home, right?

Sadly, the above-mentioned one in N AL is too far away for me. I would SO love to meet the AL forum folks I yak with!

• plantman71
    10 years ago

Purple, you have a special invite. The Swap is in central Al. south of Birmingham.
    Thanks cactusmcharris for postings this on this forum. I sure would take a greenhouse, all I have is a redneck sunroom.
    I have been trading on Gardenweb since 2001, my first visit to Houseplants, I will be back.
    Anyone who can come to the swap will not go away mad, but glad they came.

Tony Plantman71

• plantman71
    10 years ago

Purple, you have a special invite. The Swap is in central Al. south of Birmingham.
    Thanks cactusmcharris for postings this on this forum. I sure would take a greenhouse, all I have is a redneck sunroom.
    I have been trading on Gardenweb since 2001, my first visit to Houseplants, I will be back.
    Anyone who can come to the swap will not go away mad, but glad they came.

Tony Plantman71