Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't forget foliage plants forum

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 10:33

I know many people who visit this forum would also enjoy some of the discussions on the foliage plants forum. It seems like that forum used to be much more busy a few years ago, especially like 01-04, busier than this one. Is it just me having a falsory (fake memory?) Sometimes I have trouble in my mind deciding which forum to post a particular question on, foliage vs. this forum...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't forget foliage plants forum

I tend to think of the Foliage Plants forum as a forum for non-specific outdoors gardening and this one for non-specific indoors gardening. I know that isn't actually accurate but it seem easier to me to define it that way.

Maybe I should check it out more often.

o

I do, too, but when it comes to stuff like coleus and others, the lines blur for me sometimes. It's probably just me confusing myself. But really, take impatiens. It's an annual up north, a perennial here, known to need shade, fairly common as a houseplant all over, and probably originates from the tropics. It depends on what you want to ask/say about it to decide between annuals, gardening in shade, house plants, perennials, or tropical plants forums. But, if it's the leaves that you just love, maybe the foliage forum... Fun!!!

o
RE: Doh, senior-in-training moment

Hey, it's good to say wax begonias when you're talking about them because if you call them impatiens, it's not as good. But I'm sure impatiens are perennials somewhere, pretty sure they aren't here.

o

Well that next to last comment confuses me completely, 'cause I've only ever seen Impatiens growing as outdoors plants whereas I've seen Begonias as either one.

Gee I'm here in GW 10 yrs & never even knew there was a foliage forum.

o

I've visited there in the past, but it seems so redundant. I fear that people who post there are not likely to get their questions answered unlike if they visit the Annual, Perennial, or Houseplant Forums.

The Houseplant Forum has always been pretty busy, and I've been on the GardenWeb since there was a handful of forums, long before IVillage took over. People even used their REAL names back then, lol!

o

Ok I must be having a fake memory. After a decade, I'll not be too hard on myself.

o

"I'm sure impatiens are perennials somewhere"

Yep, I used to overwinter some of my impatiens hanging baskets inside. Some made it 3-4-5 years. Bad case of scale one year ended that tradition.

tj

o

I visit there sometime but it is slow. I usually go there for some of the old post to read some of the suggestion that the old gang posted, GW was the place to be back in the old days. LOL

o

Purple, funny. The first time I saw your name was on the Foliage Forum. I posted, but it wasn't answered for days, weeks, months? LOL.
Someone asked about a D. Corn Plant..Do you recall? Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here