Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

oedema on plant

marricgardens
10 years ago

A while ago I posted some pictures of a plant that had the 'cork' on the undersides of the leaves. I was told it was probably oedema (sp?). I moved the plant from a north facing window, because I thought it might need more light, to a south facing window. It is now worse. I did some research and found an article that said the patches do not spread. This does, the patches keep getting bigger. All the new leaves get it. Since the plant is a pepperomia, I don't water to much, once a week. I've withheld water for a while but that didn't help. Is there anything else that may look the same as oedema?

Comments (16)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Is it this one?

{{gwi:97513}}

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, that's it. Sorry, I didn't have the picture anymore. I have tried not watering to often and changing exposures for the plant but nothing is working. Am I missing something?

10 years ago

Are you able to add a current pic? That would at least limit speculation to what's possible from what the pic shows. Not that I'm likely to be the person who has an answer for you, but you're asking those who might to do a lot of possibly unnecessary work for you without a pic of what's going on now as a starting point for investigation. I wish you luck!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Purple, how in the world did you ID the plant from Oedema? lol.
    I'm sitting here thinking, how on earth did Purp get it..!!

Marric, Before seeing the picture, I imagined a plant with cork on bottom leaves. Cork Plant! What???

Is your plant Peperomia obtusifolia?

Can you post a photo of the corky stuff on bottom leaves? Are leaves crusty? What color is the corky stuff?

This problem is difficult ID'ing without a photo.

I don't think light has anything to do with your plant problem. And moving from one location to another surely won't help. Your Pep needs to be placed in one window, and let be.

Peperomias are fussy. (Believe me, I've killed plenty.)
    Peps don't like wet feet, but appreciate moist air..humidity.
    My Peps are in small plastic bags, opened tops..So far so good..Soil dries before getting a drink. Dries a lot.

They're outside now, 'in shade,' but when they're brought in, they're wintered in south windows..

So, happen to have a pic of this crust? Toni

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a close up of the tip of the plant.
    {{gwi:101625}}

Here's a close up of the underside of the leaves.
    {{gwi:101626}}

This is one of the leaves that fell off.
    {{gwi:101627}}

I hope these help you i.d. the problem and perhaps recommend something I can do. BTW, I also repotted into a more open mix.

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

Broad mites or cyclamen mites? Peperomia is one of the plants they tend to infest. So happened I just read about these pests today. They are almost microscopic, I got the idea since the new leaves are affected.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Not too sure if this is your problem,but...

Here is a link that might be useful: it's worth a look anyway...

10 years ago

Toni, I'm not diagnosing the problem, I wish I knew what the problem was. I just found her old pic to add here. I'm pretty sure that thing at the tip is the flower.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The cerospora leaf spot does look like that might be it. The article says to keep the leaves dry, I don't get the foliage wet tho. It is growing because there is a pepperoni/flower on top. I was just wondering what the brownish spots were. Thanks.

10 years ago

The presence (or lack of) a flower structure would have nothing to do with the leaf spot thing, as far as cause/effect goes. Sorry, I didn't mean to connect the two. Just didn't know if you knew what that was or not.

The frustrating thing is that you can't be sure from looking at pics of leaf maladies. I fired up the old google to see what was going on with the leaves on our big pecan tree and there are about 15 different fungus things that look alike if you don't have the training to understand the subtle differences.

There are tons of 'stuff' that can affect house plant leaves too but it is definitely much more mysterious when an indoor plant gets something like this, especially since you said you don't get the leaves wet. Is this the only plant with this condition?

Wish I could be of more help!

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've checked the other plants and have seen no sign of it on others. I was concerned the Jade may get it but so far there are no signs of it. I was thinking of starting another pepperomia from this one in case this one died, do you think that would work if I took a clean cutting?

10 years ago

Don't think I've ever taken cuttings of a Peperomia. Hopefully someone who has can jump in here with some info.

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

TRASH IT!

Without knowing what your up against, there's no way to way to know if you've taken a clean cutting!

It's a rather common plant, you can find a healthy one elsewhere.

If it is something that spreads, it's not worth keeping and trying to save!
    Not at the expense of your other plants!

Most peperomia root with ease!

• Starlight Botanist
    10 years ago

Did some google searching, found this article:

http://www.plantfinder.com/Services/ARChase/peperom.asp

I looks quite like "Myrothecium leaf spot", however it also looks like pictures I have seen of ring spot found here :

http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/653.pdf

Myrothecium leaf spot has several chemical treatment options, ring spot has no treatment. Sounds like it may be best to say fare well, and pickup a new peperomia. Sorry marric.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Marric,

I found a little info, but don't know if it pertains to your Pep.

Peperomias are prone to Ring Spot, but photos of ring spot do not match with yours.

I found another photo with sunburned, but you said the spotting started when your Pep was in a north window??

Here's one other bit of info I found on Peps and other thick-leaf foliage.

"While no plants are immune, (fleshy-leaved) plants are more likely to suffer from oedema than those with thin-leaves. It occurs in both indoor and outdoor plants, but is much more common indoors. Some indoor plants often affected are geranium (especially the ivy-leaved types), clivia or Kaffir lily, (peperomia,) jade plant, members of the Ficus family, schefflera, epiphyllum (orchid cactus), English-ivy, and begonia. Some outdoor plants such as vegetables in the tomato family and the cabbage family can also be affected.

Oedema may occur when plants have been over-watered during periods of high humidity. It can also occur when soil is moist and air is also moist or cool. These conditions are most likely to occur with houseplants indoors in late winter or early spring, especially during cloudy weather. Such conditions allow water to be absorbed by the plant but lost only slowly by means of normal transpiration through the leaf surface. Occasionally oedema does appear on plants that have been kept relatively dry and have grown under conditions of low humidity."

Does any of the info above apply to watering/humidity? Toni

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have quite a few clivia, a jade plant and a scheff but none of them have the problem. There have been times during the summer that it got quite dry, (busy with the market garden and poor plants suffered) but I never let them sit in water. I did bottom water a few times but sent back and checked and as soon as the surface was moist I dumped out the excess. Think maybe I left it to long? Marg