Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Philodendron

Posted by demonstimpy 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 11:19

Anyone familiar with Philodendron and propagation?
Any advice on this guy in the pic you could offer?
I've read some instructions but I'm not clear on where a cutting would be made or if this plant is even ready.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Philodendron

To take a cutting, cut the stem about half way between two leaves, above the cut there should be at least two leaves but three or four is good too.

From your picture it's hard to tell if it's big enough, although you can cut a philo while the stem is short. You may want to let it grow more anyways and wait until spring to chop it. It will have a better start when the temperature is going up into summer than as it cools off to fall and winter.

o

Your picture doesn't show us ANY of the stem for us to be able to judge whether or not this is a good candidate for propagation. You can't take leaf cuttings and you can't take a cutting from the petiole (leaf stalk). Show us a good picture or two of the main cane (trunk).

o

Ok

Photobucket

o

That plant only has about a dozen leaves. I wouldn't take a cutting yet although I think you would be successful; it's a robust-looking plant. I say that because I like a full-looking plant and it makes no sense to me to make it even smaller before it attains a mature look. But if that doesn't bother you, then go right ahead. If I were going to do it, I would make the cutting to include the 2 large roots on the left, right about the 4th and 5th leaves. You can see they are "anxious to find soil."

o

I agree with purpleinopp, that would be an ideal place to hack it off but I would still wait until spring to let it grow more. By including those aerial roots it'll have a great head start too.

You may find that if you allow it to keep growing it'll branch off and become fuller. Then you have the choice of cutting the branch for a second plant or not.

That mask in the background is awesome. . .

o

Thank all for the info.
I think I'll let it grow. May find a small trellis for it to climb up.

Dellis - I got the mask at a flea market for 40 bucks.
I had to have it. Someone else was looking at it and I could see they were just not wanting to pay the full amount.
I slapped 2 20s on the table. Done!

o

Your Phildendron is P erubescens,'Pink Princess.' A beautiful Philo. Toni

o

May find a small trellis for it to climb up. Another option is a trailing look.

Also, if you let the plant lean over so those roots touch the soil, they will take hold very quickly and a new branch will soon start growing there. The more individual "root balls" you create, the more stems and branches your plant will have, filling it out, up, or trailing down. Lots of options!

o

Well guys I need help. Rough storm here tonight.
Plant got snapped at the base.
Any recommendations on what to do?
Leave the root in the pot? Will it grow new shoots?
I really am at a loss what to do.
Again, any help is appreciated. Damn wind.

o

Photobucket

o

So sorry about your pretty plant. It looks like it broke at the surface of the "dirt." I would remove the bottom leaf or 2 and stick the stem in dirt up to the next leaf. The roots left in the pot have an excellent chance of growing new foliage.

o

Yep, cut it off at the break and replant the top.

If it was mine I would cut it in two pieces and start both. Cut the upper section just below the cluster of aerial roots and set the roots in the grow mix and the lower section can be laid horizontally on top of the soil and gently pushed into the mix so it is about 1/2 to 2/3 in the mix, it may push up new growth in several places which can be separated later.

Here is a photo of one of mine that was started last year. It has separated itself from the stem over the summer.

Keep it all damp but not soggy.

o

Cool Thanks for the suggestions.
I was gutted to be quite honest.

o

Sorry about the accident it is such a pretty plant. Wishing you luck with the rooting. It may just end up to be a better looking plant sometimes things happen as they should.

You were looking at it to decide what to do and the weather and plant made the decision for you. It can turn out to be one of those "Happy Accidents".

o

Indeed. You guys bother with rooting powder at all?

o

Not at all necessary for this kind of plant.

o

Thought as much. Well split into 2 and in soil. Let's hope!

o

We're cheering for Steve! Get well soon, u can do it! (my BF says all plants are named Steve.)

o

Haha. I was like eh? Super.

o

LOL Steve,

OK I will go back to my high school years as a cheerleader.

Steve, Steve he's our man! If he can't do it know one (plant) can. LOL

o

Haha! Were u doing that cheer in your silky work clothes or did u get the cheerleader outfit out?

o

LOL@purple. That was in my cheerleader outfit in my head.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here