Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to prune jade plant?

Posted by ep5815 none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 11:23

Hi GW!
I'm new to the forum but have used them for help for a while. It's great to have such a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips!
My question is regarding my jade plant. I've owned it for quite some time, however, in the lat year it has really exploded. The new growth seems to be growing downward and outward and I would rather it do the opposite. Can you prune jade plants without killing it? I would love to see this jade have a long, happy life but more in control. Here's a picture to give you some idea of what I'm dealing with. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to prune jade plant?

start whacking away! a lot of people regularly prune their jades down to the trunks. its going to need more light to grow straight up like you want. also looks like your main trunks are growing down. maybe repot and reorient the trunks that have been pruned way back and then bump up the light. if this were mine it would probably be in about 20 different pots. lol

o

Exactly!
For the sturdiest, most upright growth, it's going to require better light. But you can certainly clean it up, removing the downward angling, dangling, droopy growth.

Josh

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 12:06

I think your first step would be to prune everything that breaks the vertical plane from the pot rim upward, back to the closest branch junction that's inside the pot rim.

After you do that, repot into a very fast draining (chunky) soil using the same pot.

At that point, you can select what will essentially be your new leader (the main trunk). After your plant has recovered from the work you did, you can start pruning off all the vertical growth or branches that support all the vertical growth to pare the plant down to a basic shape you can work with. From that point forward, your job will consist of keeping the plant healthy and removing branches in places that spoil or promise to spoil the plant's profile.

This is going to take a couple of years, and you can learn as you go by paying close attention to how the plant responds to your ministrations.

The plant needs more light. It needs to be in a very free-draining soil, and it needs to be fed regularly with an appropriate fertilizer. It's up to you to make sure the plant is getting all the nutrients essential to normal growth.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here