Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Losing Variegation

Posted by jacqueinthegorge USDA 7a / Sunset 3 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 11:29

Both my variegated creeping fig and variegated tradescantia fluminensis are reverting to green. Why do they do this and can I get the variegation back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Losing Variegation

variegated plants often revert back to green. you need to cut off all green parts/branches, or they will eventually take over the plant. they usually grow much faster too. if they are already big - just plant the cuttings and make a plain green plant.

o

I wAs afraid of that...

It seems to me that low light is at least a factor in reversion - is that your experience as well?

o

Variegation is unstable; it is normal for most variegated cultivars to attempt reversion. The all-green growth will always be more aggressive than any without a full component of chlorophyll, so keeping an eye on any variegated plant in one's collection and pruning out the reverted growth is essential.

Plus, there are some variegated cultivars that have a very strong tendancy to get back to their 'greeniness' and will do so pretty aggressively.

Make sure that your plants get plenty of light and that might help slow down the process.

o

• Posted by dsws none (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 1:09

On the other hand, my all-green epipremnum ("pothos") decided to go variegated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here