Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will a broken Schefflera sprout new growth?

Posted by jasdip 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 11:33

A couple of months ago, the breeze coming in thru the window knocked over my schefflera. The top broke off cleanly, and got thrown out. Had I known, I would have saved it, and potted it in hopes of sprouting new roots.

The rest of the plant is healthy but no new shoots starting at all, from the top. Will it grow again?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will a broken Schefflera sprout new growth?

In my experience, as long as its healthy, yes! It will not grow directly from the cut/broken top directly, but from the nodes (the junctions of existing leafs and branches and the trunk).

It kind of looks like you have new growth emerging from a few existing nodes, but its hard to tell from the picture.

Good luck,
-daniel

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 9:42

Yes - it will back-bud. How vigorously it will back-bud is directly related to how much stored energy the plant has at the time of the injury (right now most houseplants should be just past peak energy retention [stored food]), the time of year, and how much light and air circulation the plant gets subsequent to the injury. It's not a big deal at all, so don't be too concerned - all will be well.

Al

o

Thanks for your encouraging words!
Daniel, there is no new growth buds at all, you're probably talking about the little pointy pieces that are at each stem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here