Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vertical cracks on Jade

Posted by lrn2trvl none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 11:42

Hi everyone!
This is my first post, I have tried to find the answers on the forums, but I couldn't find anything.
My mother's 30+ year old jade has been cracking on the main trunk. I think it has had these cracks for a while, does anyone know if there is a way to prevent more or fix this?
Also, advice on how to make the trunk thicker would be awesome.
I have attached some photos.
If more info is needed, let me know! ;)
Thanks for any help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vertical cracks on Jade

another photo

o

and the plant entire

o

It's a beautiful plant, and the bark is beginning to develop some very nice flaky character. This is greatly prized by those of us who really appreciate the elephantine trunks of these plants. Be assured, there is nothing wrong with your Jade.

The recipe to increase the size of the trunk is plenty of light, regular fertilizer, a fast-draining potting mix in a slightly larger pot, and all of this over time.

Josh

o

Hello & Welcome,

I agree with Josh. Your moms Jade is healthy and beautiful.

30-years is a very long time.

Like most trees, bark cracks and mars with age which is normal.

Hi Josh,

Toni

o

ah... ok
THANKS!! :)
we were just worried since it is an old (and treasured) plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here