Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feygraphica

Calathia propagation?

feygraphica
11 years ago

This is a very old plant... has been doing better since moving to NC and living out on the porch (was in New England). Question... can I cut off this long limb, which has lots of viable leaves and flowers, and repot it successfully? How do I do that? Also wondering if I should separate it from the plant it is living with (shown in photo).

Comments (7)

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

I need to do the same, may I see a picure of your whole plant, I will post a picture of mine as well later today

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

To be honest, the plant doesn't look to be in very good health, which means that the likelihood of cuttings taking root is reduced considerably. You could, however, easily air layer the plant, using soil and a plastic pot, or a plastic milk jug, in which case a new plant is virtually assured. I can help with that if you'd like to try. It might also benefit you to familiarize yourself with some information that can help you avoid the spoiled foliage and improve vitality.

There will be 2 ways to look at what I said - one is as a critique of the plant, the other as an offer of assistance. The latter is the spirit in which the comments were made.

Take care - best luck!

Al

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I agree with Tapla, airlayering would be best.

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Yup, you can even use tin foil and rock wool, but what ever you have on hand.

• feygraphica
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your input.

Firstly, I know the plant looks rough... it's been all over and for many years didn't have the best light and care, which is why I'm looking to improve it's situation. I would definitely like to correct that long arm/branch so the plant is more round, which is why I asked about propagation. I'm not sure I know what air layering is but need to keep in mind that cold weather is coming and I have only so many windows available for the plants when I bring them all in.

Tapla: I don't take your comments personally as it is a plant and my self-worth is not wrapped up in my plant care abilities. :)

I'm attaching another pic of the plant and it's pot buddy, which I'm thinking I need to separate. No longer remember what kind of plant the "buddy" is.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

If you would like, I can help you set up a layer where the container/pot used to layer the vine (branch) sits inside the other pot, so no additional room is required.

One of the keys to restoring your plants' vitality is getting them into a soil that will allow you to water properly - that is to say so you can water to beyond saturation, so at least 10-20% of the total volume of water applied exits the drain hole, and this without worry that the soil will remain saturated and impair root function or cause root rot.

If you're amenable to a little reading, I think it would help you decide if some course altering would serve you and your plants. Rather than go on any more about it, I'll leave you a link & you can decide if you'd like to take a look at it and whether or not it's helpful if you do.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: This is what he was talking about ....

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi FeyG,

Did you mean to attach another photo of the 'buddy'?