Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Plants that feel good to touch.

What plants to do you enjoy touching, why?

Stapelia feels fuzzy like, um, the softest fuzz just starting to grow on a baby's head... or (other descriptions don't come to mind.)

Comments (26)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This doesn't help if you haven't felt either, but the Stapelia feels a lot like this plant, Peperomia verticillata.

Original Author
    9 years ago

This Philodendron feels like the finest, softest, most perfect leather. 'Black Cardinal.'

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

all of them ...????

i dont get the question. if you arent touching your plants... you are missing a big part of gardening ...

ken

ps: of course.. knowing which one NOT to touch.. is the important part .... PI and what not ...

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Ken,
    I think Purp is asking for your favorites (not all plants have interesting textures or feel "nice" if you ask me).

Planto

• greybird_keke
    9 years ago

Here's my favorite....Callisia elegans...feels like velvet!

• auron22
    9 years ago

I touch all plants on a regular basis to help me remember/identify them.....one person jokingly asked "are you fondling those plants?" when i was stroking the many uncommon (or just pricey) conifers in this nice collection UM has....i've held back a bit after that.lol...but really, if you guys ever see chamaecyparis obtusa 'chirimen'...you need to touch it....

Top 3...
    3) Tiger paw begonia...the stiff hairs are stimulating...yet not harmful...i really should be more careful messing with the cacti.

2) tillandsia xerographica....very abundant trichomes, but shorter in comparison to other tillandsia...they make the plant feel fake....can't think of a common fake plant to compare it too. The feeling is hard to describe, "fake" is the best i can do. it grows so slowly sometimes i wonder if it really is fake....

1) Psychopsis mendenhall 'hildos'...the pseudobulbs and topside of leaves are very smooth, yet the bottom of the leaves is a bit rough as if i'm feeling the stomata...or whatever else it may be. Although the leaves are very stiff, the flower stem is remarkably flexible and the flower is satiny when gently rubbed.

I sit here envious.....i want to touch the plants in those photos :)

• flowerpottipper
    9 years ago

I also love touching plants, it's very relaxing . But my two favorites to touch are not houseplants at all but common out door plants which are Lamb's Ear and that feathery Wormwoods (Artemisia). Every time I see them for sale at stores, I can't help but touch them.....I've even been tempted to rub the wormwood against my face, but with my luck I'll probably have a nasty reaction and embarrass myself lol.

I really love all kinds of leave textures, anywhere from soft and feathery to tough and smooth...I have a peperomia with tough older leaves that I absolutely love. But it's really hard to tell from the picture, but they're very thick, kinda like Hoya plants....

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, sorry you're bored enough to come by and scoff at discussions in HP. Get well soon!

FPT, I think you would enjoy this Kalanchoe beharensis 'Fang.' Beyond fuzzy!

• beatlesfan
    9 years ago

Not my photos!!

{{gwi:101882}}
    Haworthia. The tops are translucent to allow for better photosynthesis (according to the tag that came on the plant, ha). They are rough and bumpy and feel almost like a cat's tongue.

{{gwi:101883}}

Heart fern. The leaves are weirdly thick and kind of leathery. Hard to describe.

{{gwi:101884}}
    Maidenhair ferns feel like...hair. Haha. I don't have one (killed mine) but they're native here so I always pet them when hiking.

• christine1950
    9 years ago

My purple passion is so soft, I love to rub the leaves,now that winter is upon us mine will start to fade..

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Ok, I just bought this one today, but I find myself periodically touching it. It's nice and fuzzy.

Stapelia gigantea

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 17:08

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I also picked this one up today. Feels nice and "warty."

Gasteria 'Little Warty'

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 17:09

Original Author
    9 years ago

This guy's fuzzy too. Kalanchoe tomentosa 'Chocolate Soldier.'

I almost posted Gasteria too - it DOES feel pleasantly warty!

• lynngun
    9 years ago

I love touching lambs ear as well, but I am surprised that no one mentioned this amazing plant; Bed of Nails.

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I gave one! I have one!! I see it ALL the time at Lowes. It's some type of evergreen I think it's called blue mound I JUST CANT RESIST PETTING IT EVERYTIME I go there!! Lol I wanted to get one but I didn't think it would do good very long in a container. :( but I still LOVE TO TOUCH IT EVERY time I see it!! Lol if I could have it in my house for carpeting INSTEAD of carpet, that would be a dream come true!!! Lol

• paul_
    9 years ago

While it is not, as FPT mentioned, a houseplant but rather an outdoor garden plant, Artemisia vulgaris is easily one of my favorite touchable plants.

The flowers of Epidendrum pseudepidendrum and its hybrids are interesting texture-wise .... the flower lip in particular feels like it is molded out of a hard plastic.

Newly emerged growths on NIP are nice and soft to the touch.

• christine1950
    9 years ago

What a unique plant, I have never seen one, it does look as though it would hurt to touch..

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I've Never seen 'Bed of Nails' before... I'm intrigued.

Planto

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

What about cacti, or crown-of-thorns(Euphorbia milii), oh wait!, poison ivy, or stinging nettle.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Now I don't know about "feeling" poison ivy leaves lol.

Planto

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mrs. Olsen thought they felt wonderful rubbing them on her face in that on episode of Little House... LMBO!!

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Purp,
    Haha!

Planto

• jpciii
    9 years ago

Pilea

• jpciii
    9 years ago

aka Moon Valley

• jpciii