Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alocasia_nanc

Brow leaf tips and brown new growth

alocasia_nanc
12 years ago

On my otherwise healthy plants i have been noticing that the leaf tips are turning brown. and some of the new growth is turning brown before it can mature. It is happening in my peace lily, zebra plant, Scindapsus pictus (silver philo), and my pothos. i only water once a week and have only fertilized once (miracle grow bloom booster watered down). any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Alocasia. Do you test soil before watering? You said you water once a week. Plants shouldn't be watered by schedule.
    Some soil might dry out fast therefore need water more than once a week and visa-versa.
    It's actually worse watering when soil is already wet, even though over-watering doesn't cause brown leaf tips, but it does cause other problems.

It's possible you're underwatering, using soil that dries super-quick, the air is too dry or using water straight from the tap without waiting 24 hours. Four reasons leaf tips brown.

Is the brown spreading towards the center or other parts of leaves?

Do any of the reasons I listed sound familar?

One other thing. If the air is dry, please mist daily. Keep a sprayer nearby plants, 'leave water in the sparyer so it's room temp,' and spray away.
    I'm not saying your plants will stop browning, but it will surely help.

Did you check for insects like Mealy Bug? I doubt this is the problem, but plants should be inspected as a precaution. Insects suck sap, and mar/discolor leaves. Toni

• alocasia_nanc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

it could be that i am not letting the water set 24 hours before i water. i generally use it right out of the tap.

the brow is pretty localized to the tips of the leaves and flowers. and i am spray crazy and mist almost every day.

i will pick up a moisture meter from work on monday and start using that.

i did move my peace lily and silver philo closer to the window as they were the two most affected and not near a window, so we shall see if that helps.

off topic but you will probably know...
    what does sun burn/damage look like in a plant. because my alocasia x has one leave that is a ugly yellow/green/brown bruise color. and it started turning after my DH decided to "sun" my poor plants.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Any chance of pictures?

Here's how to post them
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0513322013993.html?14

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post images

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hello Alocasia...What a day! Looks like a grey, winter day..5 days before autumn is officially here. :)

When you mist, avoid buds and flowers. You can spray around them, but don't make contact. Water, with or without chemicals will discolor,'brown' flowers. They fade faster, too.

Sunburn bleaches leaves. My Spider, 'kept indoors,' was placed in a sunny west window this summer. It was meant to be temporary, but w/indoor and outoor gardening, I forgot to place in it's regular spot. Its leaves turned grey, dull-colored and lifeless.
    One summer, I've set a Cactus, 'sun-lover' in front, facing west during mid-day sun without acclimating. A bad idea. The following day, the entire plant was red. lol.

Which direction window did you put your Peace Lily in? Toni

• runnergal54
    6 years ago

@tapla, could you discuss what soil you use for cacti/succulents

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    6 years ago

How about I show you a picture, and provide a link to a lengthy container soil discussion that's been active here since 2005? Basically, I use a medium containing equal parts (by volume) of

screened pine or fir bark

screened Turface MVP or Allsport

#2 cherrystone, Gran-I-Grit, or Manna-Pro Poultry Grit

See image below.

If you have specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Al

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations