Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Weird palm thingie, which palm?

When my neighbor gave me this neglected tree at the beginning of June, it had a little growth on the trunk at one of the older nodes. I snapped it off while cleaning all of the old dead leaf stumps and it looked so vigorous and green, I stuck it in the pot next to Mama. I *think* it's gotten bigger and it must be alive to still be green after more than 3 months. There is definitely resistance if I tug gently on it.

I can't conjure any mental images of palms with branches, but brain farts are well within my repertoire. What is this thing? It's flat and looks a lot like an unfolded leaf. But do palms grow new leaves on old nodes? Not that I've seen. Flower stalks are usually round, not flat, so I ruled that out, as well as the fact that palms usually bloom way before June.

Don't think it's a parlor palm because the leaves are not the same as my other plant, the angle of the dangle, and the way the new leaves unfold. Majesty? How to tell the difference between the two? Does it matter? Probably not unless there's something significantly different about the culture of the various candidates this might be.

Comments (28)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The whole tree.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Do you have any idea of how much I have always wanted a small palm like that in my home?

That is a beauty and one that I can not find any where Purple!

Take good care of it as you do all your other plants and boy, do I wish I could live anywhere but here where summer days last way beyond just 2 months.

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, looks like a Bottle Palm, Hyophorbe, don't know which variety though.

Is the 'thingy, lol, growing near the roots? If so, it's a baby palm. My variegated palm has a similar 'thingy.'
    I'm not 100% certain, but it looks like it's growing from the roots..if that's possible.

You know I love your palm..:). Only mentioned it a zillion times. It's a nice size, too. Although it's not adult, it's getting up in age. The thick trunk tells it all.

Mike, do you still have palms? I remember you had one that grew, new red fronds?

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    11 years ago

It's hard to tell many palms apart from just one picture, but what I see makes me think of the chrysalidocarpus group, i.e. areca palm relatives. Yes, they often sprout new stems not only from the roots, but also from the sides of mature stems.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, FW, and sorry for the delay in saying so. Got distracted by all of the other interesting discussions.

There are so many palms, I've been looking at so many images I'm about dizzy and basically give up. So some palms can make side branches. That's the interesting info from this discussion, to me.

I've also noticed a similar thing on parlor palm, but can't find any images out there of parlor palm growing a side branch.

Thoughts?

• Polly381
    11 years ago

I think it looks like a parlor palm which I believe is what I have.

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    11 years ago

That's what I mean about trying to identify palms from pictures. I have seen "parlor palms"- otherwise known as neanthe bella palms - grow shoots from the side, but only very mature specimens, like 20 years mature. For no particular reason, I'm still sticking with a chrysalodocarpus. You know, it doesn't make alot of difference, really. Culture is pretty much the same, and if you pay attention to your plant, which I know you do, you'll be ok.

But my granddaughter is pulling mt fingers off the keyboard, I think i have to goo-o-o-o---

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the inputs!

Sorry, I seem to have created confusion by changing the subject to parlor palm. The pic I put up today is of a parlor palm trunk. Previous pics were of a NOID palm my neighbor gave me.

Polly, your plant does look like my parlor palm. There are more individuals in mine but I think they're similar in height. About 2.5-3 ft?

FW, that's about the age of this plant, so that may be what it's doing. It's definitely not a flower stalk.

Original Author
    11 years ago

The little "thingie" is to the right in this pic of the trunks.

• Polly381
    11 years ago

about 38in from the bottom of the pot. Yours is much prettier. Mine had a rough summer with all the rain it didnt fair to well. I lost alot of branches.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! I was thinking yours was prettier! The grass is always greener, huh? Taller than it looks in the pic. You must have had that beauty for a long time.

How many trunks are in your pot? What kind of spot did yours occupy while outside?

I have trouble finding a spot where mine won't get burned, afraid to put it anywhere but against the wall on covered porch which is probably less light than it could handle. So it gets dragged out into the rain a few times per summer when the leaves get dusty, and I turn it about once a week.

• Polly381
    11 years ago

I think maybe about 4 years. I bought it at a plant sale. It was in pot with a dracena and I seperated them. So its probably 5-6 years old. Theres only 4 major stems and now that I looked I see 2 new ones growing. YAYYY.
    I had it under a tree, it probably got more sun then it should have. Usually I put my plants under a heavier cover of trees but there is such a problem here with fungus gnats I didnt want them to remain wet all summer. Well guess what they did anyway because it rained and rained. I shouldnt complain because I know many states are in drought conditions.
    I dont have a deck yet, we moved in here last year, but if I did thats where I would have put it.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh I thought you'd say you've had that plant much longer. I would think it's a lot older than 5 or 6 years. Not sure if you're saying it has branches coming off of the trunks or if you think 2 new trunks are growing from the soil. Has your plant made flowers (yellow balls) before?

Good luck with the deck!

• Polly381
    11 years ago

there are new shoots comming up from the soil.
    what I am saying is I believe some of the stalks died from to much rain.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I see 2 different palms in the last pic. A parlor palm and another palm with banding. Possibly a Chamaedorea of some sort. But I didnt think you could propagate palms vegeatively!

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Yes I see two also now that larry mentioned it. Good catch Larry

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Try posting it here:

Here is a link that might be useful: palms on GW

Original Author
    11 years ago

They seem the same to me except that some are just a lot taller. Tell me what to look at to see the difference you're seeing.

What do you think these "pregnant looking bumps" are doing?

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

What I see different is a tall stem and banding. The bands are old leaf nodes, which tells me its older or quicker growing than the others.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

I too see two different Palms...

Please, tell me. How do you control the spider mites and or mealy that can hit these trees hard?
    That is the reason why I threw all mine away except for my Kentia palm.

It is also the reason why I like yours in the first picture at the top of this thread. The leaves are much more broader and it seems as if they would be much easier to clean and keep clear of bugs. Not sure if you saw my first post telling you how much I like your Palm.

Toni, that one, the one I paid a very high price for dies that year. It never took:-(
    I am not sure of what kiled it. It was seedling and it just never grew.

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

"Please, tell me. How do you control the spider mites and or mealy that can hit these trees hard? "Man, I don't know. Dumb luck? I think keeping the debris off the trunk helps...

I'm really not sure if there were always this number of trunks in this pot or if some have sprouted more recently. Will look through a disc of old pics later...

The part where the leaves emerge from the trunks looks the same on all, to me, but it just occurs at different heights. That one trunk looks like it's ready to bust loose with... something...?

Sorry, Mike, I did see that and failed to acknowledge. So a late thanks! I'm pretty sure the first palm is different from those sharing "the big pot." You threw your plants away because they had bugs or because you feared they'd get them? Wasn't clear from what you said.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Never had a problem with spider mite on houseplants. Greenhouse yes. Maybe its the heat. Summer gets fairly hot here but now we need the central heating on but only to about 20C (about 70F)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Crazy Greenlarry. I never get a problem with bugs on my plants in the greenhouse. I think it's because it stays moist in there and I keeps the fans going 24/7.
    As for Mealy? That is always a possiblity no matter what we do.

Purple....Yes. I threw them away because one year, years ago, I dealt with a Mealy and Spider Mite problem in which stemmed from my palms.
    I have heard they are HUGE Spider Mites magnets. My Fish Tail one at work got hit hard last year with mitesm, but probably because I had just bought in last fall and never cleaned the leaves off then.

Now, if I were to grow some, they would have to share the same room with all my other 100 plants or so, and I am so afraid to have another outbreak.
    I avoid all plants with lots of hiding room now.

As for the one you posted above, I would give that one a try, not only because it's beautiful, but also for the reason stated earlier.
    I have never had any issues with bugs on my Kentia though.
    Thanks.

P.s. What's up with the ads popping at us and not allowing us to post anything until it disappears?

Mike:-)

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Its true Mike, no spider mite or mealy bugs on my indoor plants, but had some when I had a greenhouse.

Original Author
    11 years ago

It's amazing how much this plant has grown since repotting this spring. I feel like I hardly know this bunch of palms I've had for about 20 years. Still pretty sure they're all the same kind, but I've spent a lot of time trying to find anything different about any 2 given plants from this pot.

Here's some stem shots. It's way too early for flower stems, at least according to its' history. Are these things all deciding to make new branches at the same time? Any thoughts welcome.

Original Author
    11 years ago

The urge to separate these things so I can see each stem better is nearly overwhelming. But where in the heck would I put them all?

Original Author
    11 years ago

If there's some other angle that would be helpful, pls let me know.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Do palms make clumps? Repotted today and it seemed like there were rhizomes connected to two of the trunks. Roots are orange, hadn't remembered that. When I repotted this spring, one just kind of came loose from the clump, which I potted up for my Mom.