Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lowe's marked their cactus and succulents down

Posted by plantmasterm z7 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 12:01

I went in Saturday only because I haven't ventured out in awhile..imagine my delight when I came across the employee marking these beauties down..I walked away with six and didn't spend 8.00..I will post pictures later today, I acquired two jades, which is all you guys fault for showing such beautiful specimen and now I want you to be jealous, they cost me .99 a piece for 4" pots.
Now I need to ask.. Do I leave all steams together or make many because each pot has 5-6 stems..also, I want to try a gritty type mix so should I wait until the spring or do it now? also, if I can't find the pumice would it be okay to use the small pebbles that are used in fish tanks?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lowe's marked their cactus and succulents down

I'd have to see the pictures first to answer the stem question. You should do it now because almost all plants of the Crassulaceae are entering their major growth cycle. If you can't find pumice, gravel is an acceptable substitute.

o

Hi PM,

Congrats on the find!

Larry

o

here are the pics I promised

o

another photo..

o

Hi Larry, thank you, aren't they great..looks like I didn't post one of the pics, I'm enjoying them already.

Marion

o

They look Great! Congrats on the find! (now wondering how much gas I have in the car.. Ha-ha)

o

plantmasterm,

I agree with everyone here! Great find! :)

I wish I found a deal like that!

I wonder too if those jades should each get their own pot? More plants! :)

o

I'd repot those, if not singly tehn into a larger pot (a few inches of growing room in a new pot would benefit them, if you're planting them en masse) - it's up to what you want - just don't water them for a few days after repotting into a porous mix.

o

I certainly don't profess to be an expert on jades. If they were mine though I would separate them into separate pots with the future intent of combining them again in a larger pot with more space in between the stems. That way when it grows larger the stems will not be so compacted. It would make a fabulous specimen.

Larry

o

Cactus Harris,

You beat me to the mark by one minute. lol I am glad to see that my advice was not far off, since you are the expert.

Larry

o

TMG1, I would love to pot them up separately but my tiny space is so limited so they'll be pot buddies until spring then they'll be divided. Thanks everyone for the advice.

o

Larry,

It's good to see you here again.

Jeff

o

Thank you Jeff! I have been very busy this summer and have not been able to do some of the more fun things. Hopefully things will slow down for a while and I will be able to catch my breath. lol

Larry

o

I raced over to Lowe's today after I saw your post--- only to find that the entire cacti/succulent section is GONE! not relocated inside or to the clearance section, but completely GONE! What a bummer!

o

Only one of three of our Lowes have their C&S on clearance. I got this earlier for $1.86 (it's in a 3'' pot). I had to cut out one of the cacti, it was looking a bit rough, but I managed to pop off three babies which I hope will root successfully:

Chamaelobivia hybrid 'Rose Quartz'

Planto

o

Oops, I edited my message and forgot to upload my photo again:

o

Now, a week and a half after I found our succulent section had disappeared at lowes, the succulents have reappeared in the clearance section! I picked up an alpenglow/vera higgins/graptosedum for 50 cents, as well as a Jade plant (with clay pot included) for $3. Lots of good houseplants on sale too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here