Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Money Tree dying?

Posted by jenniphermarie Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 12:01

My friend gave me her money tree to see if I could save it. I have never had a plant like this before but immediately knew that it was over watered from its yellow leaves. I tipped the pot over and drained a few cups of water out. It has not been watered for a week at least and it is still moist.

Is this plant savable? The bottom of the plant has a fuzz growing on it and I fear it is root rot. Is there anything that can be done?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Money Tree dying?

Jenni,

Is the trunk, near mold, soft or firm?

First thing I'd do, 'if trunk is firm,' is remove your Money Tree from its pot. Ditch the pebbles, too.

I just noticed the bark. What happened? Was the plant injured or is something eating it?

What about leaves? What's their condition? Toni

o

I agree with Toni!

Re-pot it in fresh media quick! I just got a money tree and transplanted it into a slightly larger pot, and made up a mix of potting soil, pearlite, peat/sphagnum, and Orchid bark. The tree will get nutrients from the soil, and the pearlite and peat/sphagnum will help to drain the soil but retain water that is needed. The bark helps to drain the soil as well.

Fresh media that isn't water saturated may help, and you can check the roots out while you're at it! Keep us posted!

o

Yes, I have the same question Toni has (hi, Toni) - are the trunks firm or soft? If they are soft, they're rotten...and there's nothing to be done (other than try to root the healthy growth-tips of the plants).

It is late in the season to be re-potting, but it might be necessary.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here