Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying pothos ivy (Epipremnum aureum?)

Posted by ahyom ontario (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 12:02

I've been tending to a once-discarded pothos ivy for just under a year. It's quite large and vines around a rising metal cage sitting in the soil. Lately I've been noticing that new buds are turning black and dry, especially around the edges and inward (as seen in this pic). The cores of the leaves are green and fleshy, and do not fall off easily. And I do lose some leaves to yellowing (you can see one on the bottom center of this pic too), but I always thought that was normal for pothos, or related to over-watering?

Couple more pics below.

This post was edited by ahyom on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 12:10

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying pothos ivy (Epipremnum aureum?)

Another shot of one of many budding branches. Notice the odd distribution of black dryness.

o

I'll also attach an example of the brown spotting that occurs in the centers of adult leaves.

The plant is sitting indoors, partial shade during the morning sun. Could I be over or under watering? Is fertilizing the issue? Could this be something fungal? Maybe the metal cage is rusting in the soil and having some unpleasant affect on the plant?

Thank you dearly for any help. I love this plant and would hate to see it go downhill!

This post was edited by ahyom on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 12:12

o

Does anyone have any ideas?

o

check the roots - may be the plant is water-logged.
it's not fungal. it happens to mine sometimes - cut off all the tips with blk spots. you can cut off the spotted leaves too. it's not dying, it just needs a rejuve - soil change,etc.
while you are at it - take some end-cutting too and root them in fresh medium or water or sphagnum moss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here