Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Thanksgiving cactus is lost, needs a calendar?

This plant made a flower a couple months ago, and now is trying to make 4 more. I'm sorry they're hard to see, the red spots at the end of 4 branches because of the glare. It's hanging in a tree for the past couple weeks, which means some minor dappled light until about 4:30 when the sun comes to it but is partially blocked and dappled by another, taller plant hanging from the same branch. Weak fertilizer water a couple times in the past month. Trying to use rain water lately, since it's actually rained a few times.

Is it anxious or late?

Comments (15)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

That looks just like my Easter cactus. Are the flowers stunning red? Is this one of the plants you've fairly recently acquired? Could be that it is still 'adjusting' to new surroundings.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, neighbor gave it to me a couple months ago, probably close to 3 now, sheesh, where did the summer go? At the advice of PG in particular and other people as well, I recently repotted this plant again into a more humusy soil. (It had a lot of sand in it.) Do you think it will bloom again later, or is the name Thanksgiving cactus not really that much to set your calendar by? I see similar plants blooming around town but wouldn't know if they're the same thing or other similar "cactus." Thanks!

Original Author
    11 years ago

And yes, the flowers are bright red, just the slightest pinkishness to them. (Sorry, spell check.)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

My TC is newly repotted and it has a bud on it. I haven't checked lately to see if there's anymore forming.

Planto

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

which one is this pls?

11 years ago

purple, one thing for certain is that your cactus isn't the variety called the Thanksgiving cactus. The shape of the stem segments clearly defines that. Because of the 'hairiness' of yours, I' guessing that it really is an Easter Cactus. Mine was exactly like that. Of course, the flower shape will tell the real story.

Anyway, those three 'holiday' cacti are truly separate species. And they really do, unless the light is completely artificially manipulated, bloom sometime around Thanksgiving, Xmas, and Easter...respectively.

Here is a link that might be useful: holiday cactus descriptions

Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok thanks. Apparently it does no good for me to ask to have my plants ID'd if I can't remember what I'm told. Thanks for telling me again! The flowers on mine definitely match those from your link for Easter cactus.

I thought my plant was anxious and early. Now I know it's just lazy and slow, hopefully not really dumb too. No wonder my neighbor was giving it away. Who knows what kind of bad influence it will have on the other plants. Will have to keep a closer eye on it and this disorderly conduct. I hope I don't have to separate it from the general population and put it in solitary!

11 years ago

I just think that your plant is bustin ' out in joy over its new home. It'll settle into a routine one of these days. :-)

Original Author
    11 years ago

I like your optimistic attitude! Thanks Rhizo.

Plantsmasterm, forgot to say, obviously *I* don't know which your plant is, I don't even know what my plant is! Hahaha! Anyway, start a new thread and someone will tell you pretty quick. I don't know if the pic from above is close enough to know, even for those who know. I might recommend trying a bit closer, maybe move the plant to take the pic so there's nothing much in the background to confuse the eye.

Anyway, the search continues for the summer solstice cactus, and flag day cactus, and presidents' day cactus, the vernal equinox cactus... and of course, birthday cactus!

11 years ago

Plant will need to submit an image that allows us to have a better view of the stem segments (phylloclades).

You always crack me up, purple.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm always just trying to have fun. Woohoo!

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

The last one pictured is a 'Lobsta' Cactus (Maine name) because of the fins. AKA the Thanksgiving Cactus, Schlumbergera truncata hybrids. Schlumbergera bridgesii hybrids are the Christmas ones, and the spring bloomer is Hatiora (Rhipsalis) gaertneri.

Thanksgiving ones are more upright with dark green cladodes. Christmas ones are pendant, lighter green. Spring ones are upright, lighter green, have the 'hairs' on the ends and if grown in strong light will have red margins on the stems.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Informative, thanks for the effort!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Purple,

Maybe put a tag in the pot w/ the ID? Just a thought ;>)

I believe I was one of those who said it wasn't a TC as it doesn't have the sharp angles on the segments that the TC does; I probably thought/said it was a CC instead.

Glad to see it's having buds, even if oddly timed, I take that as a good thing, sign of improving growth to me.

Bet w/ that color, they're stupendous when they open!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Id tag? What, like an organized, rational person? Hmm... vewwy vewwy intewesting... maybe I'll remember to do that.

Ya, I don't care if this one has the IQ of a potted plant, it's starting to grow on me! Glad you think it looks better. The one flower so far was pretty cool, coolly pretty? Thanks again for the prior help!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County