Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beware of the Pencil Cactus

Posted by cypss522 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 12:17

If you have one of these so called cactus(really a Euphorbia) as a house plant please, please get rid of it and do use gloves then scrub your hands raw. I nearly went blind from this plant after getting the sap in my eyes. The sap is latex based and does not always come off with soap. If you have a latex allergy it is even more dangerous. If you ever handle a so called cactus and your eyes start to water and burn, flush, flush, flush the get to the ER ASAP. This house plant is still sold at garden centers, if you see one warn the owners and if they balk ask them if they have really good insurance. If you have one remember the sap is like having lye thrown in your eyes and the sap does not always wash off with soap and water.. Please heed this warning, I can't even explain the pain and then the three months worry that I may loose part of my eyesight. Just a warning for all gardeners. This plant should be outlawed. If you have one be very very careful if you handle it. I never want another person to suffer for a houseplant, its not worth it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beware of the Pencil Cactus

Im sorry you are having so much trouble with ur PC. May I ask how the sap got in your eye?

It is true many plants are poisonous, prehaps as a survival technique thoughout evolution. Many plant lovers know this and use caution when handling plants and placing them in terms of pets and children.

I have had a pencil cactus for two years now. It has grown beautifully and I couldnt imagine parting with it. Id rather be more careful in terms of handling.

Best of luck!

o
RE: Beware of the Pencil Cactus

Sorry you had to go through all that. Not to belittle your troubles but many if not all Euphorbias and also many other plants have latex and/or some other toxic compound(s) or allergens. Plants develop these chemicals as natural defenses to pathogens and predators. You might as well get rid of all your plants if you are that worried about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here