Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Variegated Neanthe Bella Palm Frond

plantomaniac08
11 years ago

I'm not sure if Neanthe Bella Palm's commonly have variegated fronds, but either way, I thought it was neat and wanted to share. I just have the one (now that I look a little closer, the variegation only occurs on one side!) but I'm hoping it stays around awhile. :)

Planto

Comments (15)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Well that leaf's certainly marching to a different drummer! Quick goog didn't show any ("variegated parlor palm.") I'm curious too!

• tifflj
    11 years ago

Wow! Pretty. Almost like a person with a birthmark in their hair and that one spot in their hair is white.
    Super neat on the plant!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

That's what is called a chimera (kye MEER a), a genetic anomaly...a type of mutation. Chimeras occur quite frequently in plants and sometimes result in very interesting (and horticulturally important) physical characteristics.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rhizo_1,
    Thanks for the interesting tid bit, it makes sense that plants can undergo genetic anomalies but I didn't know there was an exact term for it. I guess that would explain my all white hoya leaves as well!

Planto

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Hoyas sometimes develop all white leaves from one new branch (bud). That's a sport...yet another type of mutation.

If a hoya leaf is part green and part white, you have a chimera.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rhizo_1,
    So that's what a sport is called (I've seen it mentioned a few times on the Hosta forum but never bothered to look it up). With that said, I do have what appears to be a sport and a chimera on my Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Queen' (the leaf in the yellow circle is half green and half white).

Planto

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Darn thing didn't post my photo!

Planto

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I've got some variegation on one of my Carpentaria palms and I'm waiting to see whether it will continue as the plant grows. These can also be caused by (non lethal) viruses.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

Plantomaniac, That is a lovely variegation on your parlour palm. Like with most Neanthe bellas bought from stores, your pot seems to be full of many different seedlings. It might be worth checking to see which one this leaf is springing from, and if the variegation continues, perhaps you could gently separate it and grow it on on its own. In that case, when you move it enclose it in a plastic bag until you're sure it has 'taken' to its new home.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marguerite,
    I love your idea! Unfortunately after looking at my parlour palm though, the variegated frond connects to two (one being newer) fronds that are all green. I guess I could wait and see if variegation occurs again down the road, but I'm not sure that it will.

Planto

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Planto, your palm variegation is interesting. Wouldn't it be nice if your entire plant changed color?

Do you rotate your palm? Reason I'm asking, I was wondering if the variegated side got more or less sun.???

Here I thought Chimera was a plant related to AV..Thanks for the explaination, Rhizo.

Now I'll have to inspect all my plants to see if there's one w/variegation or a green and white leaf. Toni

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni,
    To be honest, the palm is a new addition (I just purchased it last week). The main reason I picked it up was because of the variegation. At first, I thought it had received too much sun and it was some kind of sun scorch!

Planto

• SurfCityPalms
    10 years ago

Hello,

I am a big collector of variegated palms. Would you consider selling the Bella? I have been searching for a variegated Bella for years and would love to get it for my collection.

I have plenty of palms to trade as well if that is what you would prefer.

Jerod
    SurfCityPalms

• ariel torres
    2 years ago

I just bought a variegated neanthe bella palm at home depot