Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mag314_gw

when to cut back a boston fern?

mag314
9 years ago

Hey Hey,

I have a couple of boston ferns that have now spent two warm and humid summers outdoors, and one winter indoors (I'm in Athens, GA). The plants are still fairly healthy, but the fronds have turned a dull gray-green and feel papery, despite occasional fertilizing and adding to the soil. I have read that you can cut a boston fern 'all the way back', which I'm taking to mean to remove all the stems entirely. I'm thinking to do this, although I think I'll leave a little of the newest top growth, just to give them something to grow on. I'll also fertilize and try to revitalize the roots and soil at that time as well (they are in some kind of coir liners, not plastic pots).

Do you think I should do this now, while it's still warm and sunny, or when I bring them in (probably some time around early November), or when I let them back out in mid-spring?

Because of the wintertime house heat, it's fairly arid indoors - I know that last winter the ferns suffered a bit from lack of humidity and good light.

Looking forward to any advice you have! Thanks, all!

Comments (2)