Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasper60103

newbie and needing some advice

jasper60103
10 years ago

Hi, all.
I'm a newbie here on the house plants forum.
I'm seeking some info and advice about my plant below.

My mom passed away back in 2007 and this plant was a survivor. I'm trying to keep it alive and healthy hopefully for many years.

The plant is currently at my office and I'm debating about moving home before winter arrives here in minnesota.

First, can you identify the plant on the left side of the file cabinet?

I was thinking before attempting to move I should probably trim it back? Any recommendations how far to cut back?

Also, I should probably take a few more cuttings and root just in case it doesn't survive the trip.
The smaller plant by the window was started from a cutting a few months back.

Appreciate any advice.

jasper

{{gwi:102068}}

{{gwi:102069}}

{{gwi:102070}}

Comments (5)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Jasper, Hello & Welcome,

First, sorry you lost your mom.

Your plant is Sygonium...It's common name is Arrowhead Vine.

Your Syngonium looks good. Very healthy.

When was the last time it was repotted? If it's been in the same pot and soil since 2007, it's time for re-potting, or at the minimum, fresh soil.
    Actually, if you're thinking of re-potting, I'd wait until late winter or spring.
    Check roots. If they're filling pot, up conatiner size.

How much light is it getting? Your Syngonium looks fine where it's located, but a little brighter light, 'not summer direct sun,' wouldn't hurt.

If you decide to prune, root cuttings like you did with the smaller Sygonium.

BTW, Syngoniums look good hanging, but can also be grown upright..It'd need staking.
    Since you have two plants, why not keep the older Syngonium hanging, and stake the smaller plant?

Obviously, you're worried you'll lose the Syngonium, and it never hurts taking cuttings, but you don't want too many either.

You have two, healthy plants...if your office gets enough light, proper temps/etc during winter, leave at work.
    Since you have two, why not keep one at the office, and take the other home?

Good luck, Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Wow, unless I'm mistaken you have something really cool and unusual, that I've never seen posted here before. Syngonium in a pot with mature leaves. Do some of the leaves have 3 sections? I'm not 100% sure from the pic.

• jasper60103
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni,
    great info and suggestions.

The plant situated by a west facing window. Its filtered sun light with the window blinds.

The plant is in the original soil and pot from my Mom's house. So I guess new soil is in order. Any suggestions for potting soil? I have no idea what my Mom used in the pot. I could take some pics if you think that would help?

purpleinopp,
    I'm glad you asked the question because I didn't realize the plant have two different leaves. I took some close-up pics.

Thanks again.

jasper

{{gwi:102071}}

{{gwi:102072}}

{{gwi:102073}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Yes! It's fantastic, awesome, superb! If that were my plant, and it was OK to continue growing unmolested, that's exactly what I would do - nothing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Where did it live last winter?

If absolutely necessary to trim for some reason, understandable. If it's not possible to leave it as-is, I would LOVE to have a couple of the pieces you would trim off, at my expense or in trade. Your GW settings prevent me from emailing you. If you would be open to discussing it, please send one to me and type your email address in the body of the message so I will be able to respond.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Jasper.

Did you water before snapping pics?

Soil looks like Miracle Gro.

Since your Syngonium is doing well, like Purple stated, "if it's not broken, don't fix it."
    I'm a firm believer in the phrase.

I was going to suggest adding fresh soil on top 'until the plant needs re-potting,' but soil already reaches the rim. More would cause a huge mess when watering.

Indirect light from your obstructed west window is working, so no need to change, unless you have your heart set on bringing it home.

Hi Purp...Toni