Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brown, dying leaves on Wandering Jew

Posted by Lamora 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 12:28

Hi Everyone! I hope your week is going good so far.

I was just looking at my plants, watering what needed to be and whatnot, and when I came to my Wandering Jew, a lot of leaves were browning, or already dead. I have some with browning tips too. Some of the leaves are 'soft' for lack of a better word, but only on 2 vines. I looked for a break in the stem on them and wasn't able to find any. The rest seem to be fine.

I haven't re-soiled her much. The pot I put her in was the same size and I just put in as much of the old soil in as possible. (was afraid of breaking her apart). New soil on the bottom of pot and a little on top. The soil is moist, not soggy. I don't think I am over watering or feeding, least I don't think I am. Fed 1/2 strengh only once, watered 2x now. I wait till she is almost all dry before watering.

She has been in the house for the past few days. The way my plants are hung in here, it is hard for me to get them down w/o help and DH is out of town till tomorrow. So she hasn't seen sunlight for a few days. Would that be the cause of this? Not enough light? (They are outside now, with the help of my brother. But it is coudy, no sun.) I know it needs sunlight. But the lack of it, would it cause browning? Would moving her from outside to inside and back hurt her?

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Like all my plants, I don't want to hurt her.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I value it all...
Marjie :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brown, dying leaves on Wandering Jew

Dead leaves happen with t. zebrina. Pinch it off and keep it moving. :)

o

Yes, even on the healthiest plant, a leaf will die occasionally. More sun is good, tho. I don't think there's anything you can actually do to this plant to hurt it except rot the roots. In which case you could still probably continue the top growth because these plants have an interesting ability to make a "stopping point" on their stem. I don't know what the technical name is for this thing but I've seen it happen, the top part just falls off, looking for a more suitable place to start new roots. This also happens sometimes if the stem gets pinched against the edge of the pot. The weight of a stem can cause a break/stopping point at the rim of the pot. Just stick it back in.

o

goddess and purple~ Thank you both. I feel better now. :) The purple was fading too, no light, but I just looked at it (outside) and for the few hours it has been there, she looks much better now. Still no sun. From the sounds of it, it's going to be like this all week.

Feel, smells and looks like Fall will be in full force real soon..

I am going to NOT PANIC (I hope) this Winter if a plant or 2 look sad, just as long as they are still here next Spring! lol

o

:+) Panic is perfectly appropriate on that which is called "panic night." Just try to keep it to a minimum of screaming, running in circles, and arm flailing. I'll be doing it too. No, denial of winter's eminence has NOTHING to do with this, nothing at all!

But about this particular plant, it's hardy here. Not at all as sensitive to cold as so many others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here