Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I buy these houseplants?

Posted by Pollai none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 12:29

Hello everybody!

I became very intrigued by houseplants when I heard a plant was found to help asthma sufferers. I would like to buy these plants:

Snake Plant (Sansevieria trifasciata)
Sabah Snake Grass

Could somebody please give me a safe source to buy these plants online in the UK?

Could you also please give me reviews of these plants if you have them in your home?

Although I am a newbie to the world of houseplants I am a keen gardener, having grown beautiful Strawberry, Potato and Rose plants! :D

I look forward to your replies :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I buy these houseplants?

Pollai...Hello and Welcome.

I normally shop on Ebay. Ever go there?

Sansevierias are fairly common.
Are there any nurseries, green houses or big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes nearby?

I never heard of Sabah Snake Grass, but it might be found on Ebay.

Toni

o

If this is related to the plants' air cleaning properties you might want to google B. C. Wolverton, the NASA scientist who did the original studies. He wrote a book called "How to Grow Fresh Air." You can read free excerpts from it on Amazon. Basically he recommends that you grow the plants in hydroculture because most of the plants' air cleaning properties are in the roots. I have read that hydroculture is much more popular over in Europe than it is here in the US. Don't know about the UK.

o

Hello! Thank you for your post :)

I did go on eBay but because I don't know the going price for these plants I was wary of being set wrong ones/ pretend plants.

Do you think the one in the following link is a real Snake Plant?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/400515761016?lpid=83&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=83

o

Pollai,

I went to Ebay via the link you posted.

Yep, the plant is a true Sansevieria/Snake Plant, but it's a tad expensive. However, it's possible Snake plants are more costly in England.

Did you hear all Sansevierias help people with asthma or only S. trifasciata/Snake Plants?

I Googled Sans...it mentioned helping people with cancer. I'll have to recheck regarding asthma.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here