Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

Best place for overwintering patio ficus?

WendyB 5A/MA
9 years ago

In spring I bought this great plant for a shady corner of my deck and it did terrific outside. It sheds leaves constantly, but still produces just as many or more new and shiny leaves.

So now the night temps are dropping below 50 and I know it's time to bring it in. Location choices:

A. a bright room with afternoon sun, but it gets occasional cold drafts from opening up the slider to take the dog out.

B. an all-day fairly bright room (4 windows) with morning sun. It's cool in winter from all those windows and inadequate FHA heating. It's an unused room so I haven't dealt with the cool temps. The plant spot would be near the FHA register.

C. a warm, not bright area - just indirect light from other areas - but aesthetically would make great decor.

I will keep it on a tray with pebbles & water and will spray occasionally.

{{gwi:102099}}

Comments (4)

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

I don't know what "FHA" heat is, but near a register is bad. For light, that's probably the best - if you can put it somewhere away from the register, and as long as it is at least 60F (70F or more is better).

The "bright room" with afternoon sun could be ok, if it gets bright light all day. Cold drafts from letting the dog in and out shouldn't be too much of a problem, as long as you're not having to stand there with the door open for more than 20 or 30 seconds, and the dog isn't going in and out all day.

It won't do well in position C. Indirect light outdoors is much brighter than indirect light indoors. It needs window(s) and plenty of natural light, preferably a southern exposure.

Wherever you put it, it will drop some leaves at first. It'll do that again when you move it back outside.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FHA is Forced Hot Air -- the worst kind for plants!!! And of course, the floor register is right in front of the windows. best light. worst air. ugh.

I just found the following article and ID'd which kind of ficus it is. The article is encouraging that it won't be so fussy. Although I am a bit skeptical because it states that this kind of ficus is not a shedder. That is not my experience.

http://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/ficus-ali-plant

Ok, I am afraid of the cold drafts in the best lit room, but I think I will try it out there -- at least until the weather gets brutal cold. I will get to enjoy it the most in that location.

I have a huge split-leaf philodendron in that spot now which I think (hope) will do well in the morning sun cool room with 4 windows.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, here it is next year and I have the same quandry. Last year in the best window that I have (southwest - Choice A above), it still shed tons of leaves. By December it was quite ugly so I hid it in a less visible spot when entertaining for the holidays and I just left it there until it was time to bring it out this spring. Of course, it bounced back beautifully outside so that's good.

So now I came up with another option. In my unheated basement I have a flourescent light setup for overwintering other tropical table plants. I could re-arrange things and give the ficus some of the light as a floor plant. It's great light -- most plants have done fine there, but the basement is a bit cool. e.g. Coleus don't like it down there. I would say usually its upper 50's, sometimes low 50's. There would be no drafts from doors and windows. There would be no dry heat. Happy light but cooler temps.

What do you think?

• jamilalshaw26
    8 years ago

I don't think it would agree with the cold.