Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccaben_gw

New Lipstick plant rapidly dying, advice needed

rebeccaben
9 years ago

I purchased my first lipstick plant on Monday. It was in perfect condition when I bought it home and now it's losing leaves by the minute and getting worse every day. I was hoping it was broken vines from being transported, but more and more vines are going downhill and fast. Is there anything I can do to save it or just wait and see what happens?. I gave it a small drink on Monday and the soil right now feels moist not soaked, any advice would be appreciated

Comments (10)

• rebeccaben
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture 2

• averil
    9 years ago

Hi Rebeccaben, I have seen your other post and that is a beautiful plant you have. I am no expert but I think this may be an overwatering issue. I have one and only water it when bone dry. Mines sits in the bathroom in a west window and it thrives with a bit of humidity. I have googled around and I did see it mentioned that these plants prefer tepid water or it can cause spotting on the leaves. I give mine cold water and it's not been a problem. If no one else comes along with different advice, I would remove it from its pot and allow it to try out a bit. I hope this helps because it really is a beauty

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Honestly I would take it back to the greenhouse. There is something really weird going on with it. The issue is so uniform, all over the plant, and it makes me wonder if it is sensitive to the leaf shine. ive heard some plants are... :-/

• rebeccaben
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank your for your replies, it use to be a beauty but it looking pretty bare at the moment :0( I only paid 10$ for it so there's no point in taking it back. The soil does feel pretty moist still and I didn't check the temp of the water before watering so that could be the cause also. The vines are so fragile at the moment and they are tightly coiled together around the bottom of the pot that it makes it almost impossible to remove from the pot without breaking the vines, I feel like I will do more damage than good by trying. Was thinking of trying to dry the soil with a hair dryer on low cool setting, on top of the soil and in the holes on the bottom of the pot, or would that do more damage than good? At this point if I touch a leaf it falls, so trying to wipe off the shine spray off wouldn't be an option either so who knows what the future holds. No beginners luck for me I guess but on a brighter side, I bought a bunch of other beauties the same day from a local commercial plant business that was having a 1 day year end sale. It was a in a massive warehouse filled with gorgeous oversized commercial grade indoor plants and trees marked down to $10 each. Definitely worth looking around for one in your area for a sale :0)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

I think I just saw this same plant on another site?

Shine spray?

Please do not use hair dryer. A paper towel kinda jammed into the drain hole can usually help remove excess moisture. Is your plant in a hanging pot?

• rebeccaben
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks I will try the paper towel suggestion. I did make another post on another forum as last week when I have any replies on here. I meant to say leaf shine, the store sprayed leaf shine all over my plants and trees when I bought them . I also watered all the plants the first day with possiblly cold well water,then there was also fabreeze air freshener sprayed in the room so ether one of these things if not all is probablly the cause for my plant going downhill overnight. It's in a pot growing around 3 long sticks

• rebeccaben
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops meant to say I made a post on another forum last week when I didn't have any replies on here.

• averil
    9 years ago

Eek!! I can't believe you only paid 10 dl rs for that humdinger of a plant. They are hard to find here so I had to buy mine on-line for ã8 and it was just a tiny plug plant

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Wow, it's very pretty! I would have posted elsewhere too. I'm leaning toward the Febreeze as the cause... If it doesn't show up on any new leaves, that could have been what happened. Well water is an unknown quantity, variable, impossible to say if this particular plant will like that particular water, but it will let you know if it doesn't, not just die suddenly. Letting any water come to room temp is always good.

• Jason J
    9 years ago

It was the leaf shine, these are one of the plants you shouldn't use it on. The leaves are to sensitive. There is not much you can do to get it off, maybe spray it with soapy water? That is a very nice plant and great price! It should recover, but may take some time. Just let it dry out before watering again, it is very stressed at the moment...so it won't be using much water. I have also heard of those sells you mentioned, it is a great place to get nice large older plants.