Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jade plant care

Posted by canterburynick none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 12:46

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice on Jade plant care/rescue!

1. I have two small cuttings that appear to be healthy both about 8" tall. They are both just a single stalk. Do I need to do anything to encourage them to branch out?
2. I was give a 18" tall plant that has by the look of it been severely neglected. Certainly no water or sunlight for at least 18 + months. Ends of branches wilted and not many leaves. I have given it a good watering and left to dry out now. Should I lightly prune the ends at all where they are wilted and any other information to try and recover this plant would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jade plant care

Hi Canter,

Can you post a picture?

18-months without water or sun..Poor plant!

Do you prefer bushy Jades to tree-like? If you decide to cut stems back, don't toss stems/leaves. Instead, insert them in soil. They'll root..
If you like a bushy Jades, adding the extra leaves in the soil with mom will make your Jade bushier. Otherwise, sow leaves in small, individual pots, until they're rooted.

BTW, because of the time of year, rooting and growth slows down. Don't be alarmed if your Jade/s are on stand-still. Toni

o

As Toni says, you can just snip off some of the top. Typically, you'll get two branches from that, and probably end up with a smaller branch coming out on the trunk somewhere below!

I like when it branches lower down the trunk, so as she explained, I usually take off enough to make a cute smaller plant. I use a chopstick and prop the cutting in the soil.

In this pic, you can see the forked branches on the trunk to the left. That was the first cut (the top of which is now in another pot), and then the tiny offshoot came out below that on the right. The branching at the very top happened by itself. This guy is about 8 inches tall.

o

Hi Nick & welcome to Gardenweb! Feel free to add a pic if you're not totally sure what it is.

There are more discussions about jade plant than one person could read in a whole day on the cacti/succulent forum, if you'd like to click over there and check some of them out.

Cute plant, Danielle!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here