Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellie021

Plant ID

shellie021
11 years ago

Hi. I recently fell in love with this plant at the supermarket. There is no card or any information on it at all, and neither of the two people that work in the department have any idea what it is. It's in a hanging pot sitting in a wicker stand. The leaves are soft...not meaty. I would love to buy it. I've been trying to ID it for almost a week. I just want to make sure that where I want to put it will be okay, and what care is needed. I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments (100)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Morning Shelly,

The screen is perfect. We had new screen placed on our doors..Dh was going to toss it. At the time I was repotting plants. Some drainage holes were huge, so the screen idea popped in my head, lol.
    It works great, now I'm using it for various pots, big holes or not.
    Too much soil etc is lost w/o adding something to prevent it from slipping out of drainage holes so screen was the answer.

What would life be like w/o fur and feathers? lol.
    Coco, our doggie, doesn't shed, but needs daily brushing..their fur tends to matt, looks like dread-locks,lol, when not brushed.
    Birds lose a few feathers now and then, but it's worse around spring and fall. I find feathers everywhere. It's molting season, time for new winter feathers.

I agree Collie's are beautiful. I think about Lassie, how pretty she was. Do you brush her/him daily?

What color is your Betta? I feel so sorry when we go to the pet store, see Bettas sitting in tiny bowls. Some bowls are so small the poor fish can't turn around. Awful.

Thank you, regarding Sam.

Oh, your poor cat. As long as he's not in pain, there's no reason to put her down.
    Why does he howl? Does he do it at certain times? Daily?
    Poor baby..it's sad when our beloved pets age. I hope and pray he'll be with you, without pain, a long time.

Many people don't understand how we pet lovers feel when our furry/feathered family members get sick, or worse go to heaven. Plus there's many who shouldn't own a pet rock, let alone a cat, dog, bird or fish.

When I worked at the vet, there were a few people who refused euthanizing their pets. That's how much they loved them. What was sad, some dogs/cats were so sick in a way it was cruel keeping them alive. On the other hand, 'one reason I quit,' people would bring 1-yr old cats and dogs in to be put to sleep..the cat/dog was healthy. A wk or two later, these same ppl would come in w/a new kitten/puppy. These 'people' were bored with their older, 1-yr-old petz, so had them put to sleep.
    More and more ppl were bringing their pets in, which made me very depressed. I'd help with the euthanization, my eyes tearing up. I wanted to punch the people out!
    Sorry, but this is something that sticks in my mind, and irks me to this day.

Shellie, because you started this thread, you can discuss anything you want. Plant related or not. :)

I see the marking, but it's too far away. I can't tell what it is either. Is it a brown and bumpy? Can you feel it when rubbing a finger over it? Does it protrude? Could it be Scale bug? Know what Scale looks like?

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Henry Hill is blue and is in a 5 gallon tank with a filter. I had others in 2 1/2 gallon bowls, but they all died. One vanished. I didn't smell the cats breath to find out. :)

Well, I heard from Consolidated. I guess it's not their plant. Here's what he wrote.

"Shellie � my apologies here��I cannot identify the plant!! It�s not one of ours�..we only sold the pothos hanging baskets to Stop & Shop. I sent the photos off to a few other people asking for help.

I�ll let you know what I find out!"

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Shellie, Is Henry Hill named after the star/real man in Goodfellows? lol.

I checked Consolidated, hoping your plant would be posted, but they only listed a few HI plants..
    Have you checked Exotic Angel's website?

Oh brother..this is a real mystery.

Are leaves still falling? Hope not.

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, that's the Henry Hill...RIP. Not the fish RIP. Aside from Loving Goodfellas the movie, I loved listening to him on Howard Stern. He was a mess. Henry also opened a restaurant up here which burned down after a short time. That's no surprise.

I haven't checked Exotic Angels. Seems just that one fell so far today...oops, I lied. I see a few more on the carpeting.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Wow, quite a reading I had to do and I can remeber that Toni had said that ten days is much to much time to go by before it dries out. I agree.

The roots may be very stressed due to a lack of constant oxygen to the root zone which is what had caused my goldfish plant in the past to shed perfectly healthy leaves like your plant.
    It was also the cause of cupped leaves too.
    Despite being in the state of cupping and dropping of leaves, just as soon as I transplanted my plant into a much better porous mix, all that stopped and it thrived within days.
    One thing we do know is that every plant I have ever owned responds well to a mix that holds moisture well and allows the roots to breath at the same time. One that does not allow salt deposit build up, unless it's a sludge or swamp plant.

Also, thrips can cause healthy leaves to drop too, and they can not ever be seen, at least not by me.

I wish you all the luck on identifying. Please keep us going on this. I hope you get an answer soon.

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

I too love Goodfellows. Did the real HH die? I had no idea.
    Oh yes, it's understandable why his restaurant burned. Actually, I thought he changed his name, was on the Witness Protection Program, and moved away?

If I were HH, I'd have done everything possible to escape from certain people.

My brother bought one of Hill's paintings.

I didn't know he was on Stern's show. Maybe the interview is on YouTube.

Exotic Angel plants are sold everywhere..it seems.

So sorry leaves are falling. That's ashame..If you could only find the name, it'd help with care instructions.

Mike, you gonna get this plant, too? lol

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I was sure this was an EA plant and looked at all of their hanging plants yesterday, but the only close matches were Aeschynanthus, of which they have an abundance of varieties.

FicusW, we're in total agreement about that plastic thing in the pot. Good riddance!

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well...still no ID, and there is way too many leaves dropping as well as some of the branches getting weak. :(

11 years ago

Did kitty jump on it maybe? Sounds so drastic! Don't feel too bad. I can kill a Fuchsia faster than this...

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, Molly wasn't up there. :)

I just lifted the plant and a ton of leaves fell off. They're healthy leaves. I spray it with water. I'm lost.

Oh....I bet I can kill a Fuchsia faster than you, and I'm brutal with Jades. :)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I'd stop spraying it, doubt it'll help.

I know you still have no ID, if if were mine, I'd turn it out to check the roots. Even w/out an ID, one can still assess the roots for damage proper/improper drainage, pest, etc.

Have you checked to see if the rootball has hardened off to the point where the plant can't drink?

If you're unwilling to unpot to check, how about checking w/ a skewer or pencil for moisture, by pushing pencil all the way down in the mix, if it comes out w/ mix on it there's still some moisture down there (if you know how to check a cake for doneness w/ knife or toothpick, it's the same idea).

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still no ID. The soil is moist and is absorbing, and I have half the size plant I did. Every morning there are so very many leaves around the plant, and on the ground. I want to repot it today, but I can't even imagine how many leaves I'm going to lose.

Not sure what's going on with me. Some of my plants are as great as always, and my Wandering Jew is falling to pieces. I never had trouble with it before. :(

Have a great weekend everyone..

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Could it be a Hoya?

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I searched every pic of Hoyas I could find, but nothing. Something had mentioned Columnea to me, but that's not it either. I just wish I knew why the leaves were falling in in such great abundance.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I just thought Goldfish Plant, but I can't remember the latin name!

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not that either....nor Lipstick. I fell in love with this plant, so it's really bothering me that it's half the size it was. :(

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Has it flowered?

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No flowers. It doesn't seem like a flowering plant to me. I've only had it about a month.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

You know it actually looks like a Cotoneaster, an outdoor shrubz some of which are trailing plants!

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some more leaves just fell off and I noticed this on the front and back of one of the leaves. I've seen it on others, and one of my earlier pics here has the same mark, but with black around it. Anyone know what this might be? I'll post the front pic right after this one. It's a perfect round spot.

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmm....pic didn't show on previous message.

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Front of leaf round spot.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Shelly, are leaves thick or thin? I or someone else might have asked this question before..if so, sorry.

You said the soil stays moist? Is that correct?
    If so, let it dry completely between waterings. Not to the point soil cracks. Lift plant when wet to test weight. When soil is dry, it'll be a lot lighter.

In the last pic the leaf resembles Hoya, but hard to be certain. Toni

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Is it a lipstick plant?(aeschnanthus radicans) I just bought one and I'm pretty sure it looks the same. I will post a picture after dinner

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Ah yes, lipstick plant does sound like a match!

• Polly381
    11 years ago

This is the plant I bought today. I believe its the same, but I could be wrong.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I think we have a winner!

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

I don't know anything about plant identification, but I've been following this post from the beginning. SO happy we have a winner! It won't feel official until shellie021 shows up and confirms! :)

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I want to say yes, but I can't. Your leaves are thicker..more like my Hoya,and the pic I just attached, which is one of my Hoyas. My leaves are super paper thin....and still falling off all over the place.

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Oh well I needed an excuse to buy the plant. LOL
    The leaves are pretty fragile. The leaves arent as big as your hoya leaves. The longest is around 3 inches. The leaves are a bit rubbery but fragile.The stem is thin and the leaves are opposite.

sorry I couldnt help.Hope you find out what it is, maybe a horticulturist at your state ext service could help.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

It's not a Hoya, I believe that suggestion was offered up much earlier on the thread & I refuted it then, sorry.

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Hi Pirategirl
    I didnt say it was a hoya, I was comparing to the comment you made along with the photo you posted of your hoya.

Pirategirl said
    "I want to say yes, but I can't. Your leaves are thicker..more like my Hoya,and the pic I just attached, which is one of my Hoyas. My leaves are super paper thin....and still falling off all over the place."

good luck I hope you find out what it is.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Sorry Polly,

If I misunderstood, but apparently I did.

That's not me you're quoting, I never said that.

Just checked the thread & maybe Shellie said it? Looks like Shelly 021 said it, I definitely didn't.

• Polly381
    11 years ago

ooopps sorry, your right, I quoted wrong. Sorry.So is it a lipstick plant?

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I finally got a call back from one of the nurseries, the woman from the houseplant division. Apparently, the guy I sent the email to had gotten married, and went on his honeymoon, so she just received the info. She said give her the weekend to check it out. She said it's not a Hoya. The leaves are too thin. It was also recommended there and on a FB page that I pick up some Super Thrive, which I got yesterday. I picked up the plant to bring it into the other room to add some fresh drier soil, and the Super Thrive, but so many leaves fell off.

I called Lowes looking for the Super Thrive. The guy I spoke to said they don't carry it, but Hme Depot does, he told me the cost, and he said he swears by the stuff. So lets see what happens. At this point I don't care it's name I just want to keep it alive. Oh...and the woman from the nursery said that circle in the leaf I posted the pic of here could be a fungus. :(

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

All superthrive is vitamin b12 in a different form. Also known as riboflavin.

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is that good? I'm hoping it will rebuild the root system before all the leaves drop.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Not sure. I wouldnt give a sick plant fertilizer tho.

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's not fertilizer. It says right on here in big black bold letters... 'Not a fertilizer.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Polly..your new plant is a Hoya pubicalyx. Can't tell if there are speckles on leaves..H. pub has pink or silver splashes, depending on species, but also a green leaf variety, too.
    Funny you should call it a Lipstick plant..When I bought my H. pubicalyx in 1983, the tag read Lipstick plant. It was years before I discovered my Lipstick was actually a Hoya..lol.

Shelly..did you explain your question was a matter of life and death, and the man should be notified and reply back to you in spite of his honeymoon? lol.

I don't know about your plant..Perennial keeps popping up.

Although some do not use SuperThrive, I do and have been over 20-yrs. I believe it works. But, only my opinion.

However, if by chance your plant is a perennial, no matter what you do or use, it will continue dropping leaves.
    It's too bad she couldn't make an ID.

However, add ST to your other plants..(soil, not foliar.)Once a month is sufficient. I use 3 drops per gallon..For stressed plants, 10 drops per gallon.

Larry..maybe I'm reading your comment wrong, but ST is NOT a fertilizer. In fact, it's recommended to use w/fertilizer.. Check their website. www.superthrive.com

Shelly, one more thing. If, by chance you like ST, instead of buying locally, go to Ebay. I paid 20.00 for a pint. It might have increased a bit since my bottle is over a year old, but much more economical via the net. Toni

Hope you have a sunny corner, because H. pubicalyx is huge when mature. Looks terrific hanging, stems and foliage flowing down to the floor.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Oh I mistyped, Im an idiot! I meant to say about the fact ive never used such a supplement but i usually use fertilizer to perk plants up, but that Id never give fert to a sickly plant.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Shellie,

Save your money, few of us here use it as it doesn't work. Toni uses it but she's the only one on here I've ever seen say it works.

Personally I have tried it several times & it doesn't work, nor will I waste money on it again.

Practically speaking, it's a better use of your time & money to just focus on learning good basic gardening skills instead.

Toni, I believe we'll have to disagree, Polly's new plant is a Lipstick plant, not a Hoya (IMO).

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Karen, I apologize..I was looking at Shelley's last pic..duh..lol.

Polly, I am sorry.. Your plant is a Lipstick.

Regarding Superthrive..there's many people from this forum, 'not to mention other forums,' who use ST, but won't admit it in public.. Guess they don't want to start a confrontation...Toni

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How about magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) for plants? For houseplants it's one teaspoon per gallon of water and fed to the plants every one to four weeks. I know many that are very pleased with it.

Went back to the grocery today hoping maybe they got another plant like mine. Still nothing. But they have these new Neon Pothos which are absolutely beautiful. I've got to make room. :)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Shellie,

One doesn't just apply stuff to plants w/out a particular reason. What is it you're trying to accomplish w/ these additives? If you don't know or can't say I suggest it's best not to. Basics really are all one needs, especially to start out; keeping it simple really does help.

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If you have a Walmart near you, check out their bag of epsom salts, and read the back of the package. I wasn't suggesting it for my plant. As for mine, tons of leaves fell off today. I don't think it's long for this world. Same with my Wandering Jew. None of which have been given any fertilizer or anything else. I did give a bit of ST to the leaf dropper.

• shellie021
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sad to say that my beautiful plant is just about completely nude. I'm cutting off the branches I can save and trying to start them in water. Some of the earlier ones I took off have rooted. So many leaves have dropped off.

However, I did pick up a new small plant yesterday...the card saids Exotic Foliage, but no info and no name. I was wondering if anyone might be able to ID this one.

Thank you all for all the time you spent trying to help me find out what the original plant here was.

{{!gwi}}

11 years ago

Hope it gets going again from the cuttings. Good luck!!!

• carol222
    11 years ago

Did you get your id yet?

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Shelly...your new plant pic didn't show...Toni

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm