Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats wrong with Phillis now? Arrowhead Vine

Posted by tifflj none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 13:05

I was examining Phyllis a minute ago for vine growth and I saw one of her leaves yellowing and some yellow deposits on the soil. What the heck?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats wrong with Phillis now? Arrowhead Vine

Here is the poil. The camera didnt pick it up very well. Hopefully you can see what I mean

o

The whole leaf is yellow today and I just dont get it when she isnt that big why her leaves yellow from time to time.
Maybe when we switch out the soil it will make a difference. Still dont get what that crud on the soil is though...

o

The potting medium looks pretty bad, tiff; very peaty/mucky. You might be keeping it overly moist, something that is very common with newbies and overnurturers. ;-) Peaty mediums can be quite a challenge, even for very experienced growers. It looks like a crust has formed on the surface. If that's the case, be SURE to keep the surface lightly scratched up...a fork works well for this job. That will allow moisture (and other gases that accumulate in the soil) to evaporate from the soil and fresh air to move in.

The yellow stuff is probably just an algae. At least that's what I 'think' I'm looking at.

o

Agree, rhizo. I've had plants develop this stuff on the soil surface before. It was when the pot didn't have a drain hole, was staying moist too long, and/or hadn't been repotted for many years. Not always great at remembering, but thought all of your plants had been repotted recently, Tiff?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here