Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hornetwife_gw

Training Monstera deliciosa

hornetwife
16 years ago

Hi all,

I enjoy reading all of your posts. Very educational.

I consider myself a plant novice but I'm learning all the time. I have approx 43 houseplants and 12 outdoor plants. My favorites are the Jatropha Multifida, Plumeria and Amate Schefflera.

Anyway, on to my question. I just purchased a gorgeous split leaf philo and I was wondering how to train it to vine? It is already reaching and leaning and standing tall and straight up. What kind of stick do I use? Can I plant it in the pot without damaging the roots or do I need to repot with stick? Does it attach itself or do I help? How big of a stick compared to the plant?

Any tips would be appreciated. I get the feeling this one is going to get big fast.

Thanks,

Lori

Comments (6)

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A pic if it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:102305}}

• User
    16 years ago

Monstera needs some kind of support (a slab of wood, moss covered totem pole, etc.). Just loosely tie the Monstera vine to it with some jute rope or twist ties and the plant will eventually form aerial roots and gradually spread its roots unto the support. I've even had a philodendron fasten itself to a wall (without my help), climbing like ivy.

• elfinn
    16 years ago

Hi Hornetwife,
    Actually, I have to disagree with Njoasis on this one. Yours is very similar in stature to mine {{gwi:102306}} and I have had mine for about 2 years now. I painstakingly fashioned a homemade moss pole for mine and it sat there for a year neglected by Monstera. It preferred instead to put its aerial roots back into the pot, and instead of a gangly climbing plant, it produced a more bushy plant with larger leaves. I also water it throughly but sparingly, and also give it med-bright but filtered light. That's just what I do for mine, though. (That's an old pic from spring, my batteries are dead on my camera)
    Good luck, I love these things!

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the tips. That is a lovely plant you have,Elfinn. I guess I will try it on a stick and see if it takes to it. I am still confused, though, on what size stick to use? Any ideas?

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Hornet, for that particular Monstera, which tends to grow different than another Monsterea I have, that Monstera needs a thick, not thin stake. Any material would work.
    Don't buy the little moss polls that attach onto each other..They don't stand erect, end up leaning. And by the time your plant reaches maturity, you'll have 10 moss poles attached to each other..It's not worth it.
    They also sell tall, moss poles, but I've never seen one tall enough to hold most tall plants..though they may sell them where you live..
    The poll Elfin's using looks sturdy enough to hold the plant, but let me tell you, this Monstera IS heavy when mature..Mine has fallen over several times. LOL..Find a thick piece of wood, set inside soil, then use ti's to attach stems/trunk to stick..Toni

• johnh_or
    16 years ago

In the wild, this plant uses its aerial roots to attach itself to the bark of trees. The plant must be trained to grow upright if you want the leaves to get larger and develop more splits. I am guessing that the moss poles don't work that well because they don't have a coarse enough texture for the roots to attach too. Like njoasis says, I've even had Pothos attach itself to a wall all by itself. Pothos will also grow larger leaves if trained upright. I have seen them even develop splits just like Monstera. The reason the leaves develop splits is because it is a natural defense against winds at the top of trees that the plant climbs. The wind will blow thru the leaves instead if tearing it. So I would try and find a piece of wood that has a very coarse texture...even bark on it if you can

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert