Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswonder

What's wrong with my plant?

kswonder
9 years ago

Though I have this baby plant for over 4 years now, I'm still a rookie in the art of home plants, as my baby plant never asks for anything other than water. However, it is not doing so well recently and I'd very much appreciate your advise and suggestions to bring it back to health.

First, I'm shamed to admit that I still don't know what species is this. Second, I notice that my baby plant is suffering in Spring and Summer, but awesome during Fall and Winter. Look at it now... very depressing for it and myself. Third, I feel that the container is too small for it now, but not sure how large a pot and what kind of soil should I get.

Please forgive my ignorance. I love my plant and water and clean it regularly, but I think I need some professional advice now. Thanks in advance.

Comments (52)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Beth has the right of it...aglaonema commutatum to be exact.

• Jason J
    9 years ago

Yes it is a Aglaonema.

It really really wants a new pot, it looks like it is in a 4" container, I would go up to a 6" or to a 8" if its a 6". You can use miracle-grow for this guy, just make sure you pot him in a pot with nice drainage holes in it.

Since miracle grow has fertilizer in it, I wouldn't worry about fertilizing him. Once he starts filling out again, its a good idea to use a liquid fertilizer every other time you water.

Now I would also give him a prune job, cut some of the older canes down and this will encourage new growth. With your trimmings, put them in a glass of water, they will root and then you can pot them up making another plant or keep them in water.

• kswonder
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! Really appreciated.

I've been sitting here all day with no response, and a bathroom break away, bang, all your messages are here! You guys are mysteriously in sync :)

I agree with tropic that the soil might have gone bad. Have never changed them since I bought it. Also, I agree with collijjay that my baby needs a bigger outfit. Actually, my follow up question would be why only the canes seem to grow without the leaves? (but I was stumped on how to call the cane part.....thanks again coolijjay)

Where do you guys go to get the pot and soil? Amazon, or somewhere better?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I'd agree with the slight up-potting but would actually recommend against pruning just yet. Personally I'm of the opinion that after re-potting it might just leaf out again if given a little time to recover. With the exception of the current leaf loss,what's left of the plant looks pretty healthy.

All the same,let's find out what shape the roots are in. Gently remove it from the pot and see if there are roots wrapping round and round...if not there may be rot. If there is,then cut the rotten stuff away and re-pot in a similar sized container or the same container after thoroughly washing it and of course use new potting mix Miracle grow wouldn't hurt,but just to be on the safe side,mix in a little perlite in order to improve drainage so air can get to the roots as well as water. If there are roots all over the place in a thick wad,tease them apart a bit and pot the next size up as Cooljay described above.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I make due with big box store bought stuff. I feel like I should be making more of an effort to improve on this but it's what's working for now.

A pic of your roots would be helpful if you can manage that. :)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Kswonder,
    That's how they grow (naked stems). Some people cut them back and root the cuttings, while the left over stem produces new shoots. But, that's not a task I would do right now, considering winter is right around the corner. Wait until Spring at least, when it will be growing in full swing again. Now that you have a name, it should be easier for you to find out its care (they are known to be easy plants).

Jon,
    That's what I use. Miracle Gro Cactus and Palm soil, mixed with perlite. For most of my houseplants in fact. I know it's not the best, but it has been working for me too.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 22:59

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

So you're feeling the guilt too,eh Beth? lol

I've been debating whether or not to get some pine bark mulch and chop it up into little chunks of about a quarter to a half an inch in size and incorporate it into a mix of potting soil and perlite in the hopes of fluffing things up a bit more.

Some time back,I was thinking about a way to get around the perched water issue without resorting to gritty mix(which I can't find the components for locally). I figured it might be possible to run wicks through the medium from top to bottom and out the drainage holes. Take a chopstick and gently push it through the mix to make a nice hole. Next feed a wick into a drinking straw and guide it through the hole and out the bottom. Hold onto the wick from the bottom and slowly pull out the straw and presto! I've always heard of wicks being used as a method of watering but can't see why they wouldn't assist in drainage issues too by allowing perched water to escape. Naturally it's possible that I'm overlooking something,so I would welcome correction if applicable.

Mind you I haven't ever used wicks before so if I ever get around to experimenting with this idea it should be a learning experience.

Petrushka has lots of experience with wicks so I hope she pops in again with her thoughts on all that.

Naturally if Al was around I would more than welcome his input in this issue as well,..despite feeling like a blasphemer for trying to get around the gritty method. ;)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Jon,
    Eh, yes and no lol. I don't think my plants are "thriving," but they do seem happy IMO. I feel guilty knowing that they aren't thriving, but... I'd have no room if they were! Lol! Folks are on top of one another as it is. ;)

I don't have an issue with my mix I think, because I let my plants drain after every water (I flush them everytime I water to ensure they are saturated) and then I let them sit on a towel for 5-20 minutes (that way I get rid of any escess water). Usually I move them around the towel two or three times and I remove them once I notice it's dry under the pot (which how long that takes and how many "moves," that depends on the plant). I hope that made sense, it made sense in my head, haha. Tedious, I know, but that's how I think I get around a less than perfect mix. I bare root repotted my 'Domino' PL in my mix and it has exploded with root growth. I was expecting it to pout, or maybe have some issues with rot (the pot was a bit bigger than it shoukd have been), but quite the opposite!

I know my method wouldn't work for everyone, but that's how I do it!

I hope you find what works for you. Do you feel your mix isn'r doing well for your plants? I guess I feel like I've spent so much money (some wasted) as it is... I do with what I can. I have two 'Spider Plant' babies in Chic-Fil-A cups! Haha. Free pots, what can I say.

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

You're gonna laugh at this,but I have imagined putting a potted plant in a net and swinging round and round over my head 'til all the excess water is wrung out or I fall down...whatever comes first,right?

Maybe something like a potter's wheel...hmmmm...

Edited to say that I totally get the free container thing. I recycle the heck out of all kinds of stuff when I can. Got a whole stack of yogurt cups each with six holes punched in the bottom from when I was on a raspberry yogurt kick.

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 0:50

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Jon,
    Rofl! Thank you for that mental image, I need to pick myself off the floor now from laughing so hard.

Haha, raspberry yogurt kick. I must have a Chic-Fil-A kick. Yours sounds healthier.

Planto

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

There are pics of plants in healthy condition here. Looks like your plant could use more light, in addition to new soil/pot. Looks like it's several years older than 4, it should recover. They're tough.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

K -To be proficient at growing in containers, you only need to cover a few bases. First, you need a soil you can water to beyond saturation (so you're flushing the soil of accumulating salts) w/o having to worry that the soil will remain soggy for so long it inhibits root function or causes root rot. Your problems are almost certainly originating in the root zone. If you can't keep the roots happy, there is no hope of keeping the whole happy.

You need the right light and a good nutritional supplementation system. If you get those things right, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy growing proficiently can be.

I don't like wicking to supply water to plants because it ensures that salts left behind as water evaporates will accumulate in the soil. I DO like wicking as a means of draining excess water from the soil that otherwise wouldn't drain on its own. Watering from the top and flushing the soil as you water offers the grower the ability to essentially keep hitting the fertilizer 'reset' button. It ensures that fertilizer ratios and levels in the soil don't get out of hand. This problem is usually a byproduct of poor soils and the inability to water correctly, but is exacerbated by fertilizer ratios badly skewed from that at which the plant actually uses the nutrients.

I'm going to leave you a link to a basic overview of growing in containers. It can help you avoid all the common pitfalls that bring growers to the forums looking for solutions. Hopefully, it will offer some guidance and leave you wanting to learn more about how plants work.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: A basic overview if you click me

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Knew I was overlooking something!!
    Gotta flush salts,check!

Thanks for the heads-up Al !
    You're appreciated more than you know. :)

Edited to add that the link is solid gold!
    If you aren't already published,you should be. Just sayin.

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 12:14

• kswonder
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, some of the comments have become too advanced for me to comprehend. But really appreciate the rookie 101 instructions.

I dare not to take the whole thing out to check the roots, as I don't have any repotting tools yet. But here's a pic anyway. I know, it looks like a prison break.....

I'm going to buy a 6' pot, Magic Gro Potting Mix, Magic Gro perlite today and will keep you all posted. Thanks again!

• kswonder
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BTW, this is my baby 2 years ago.... Look how happy it was.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Wow on the pictures. When you repot, be sure to bare root repot (meaning remove all of the old soil if there's any left).

Planto

• kswonder
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, assleep_in_the_garden, I think you can't get more "wrapping round and round" than this. I'm totally ashamed.....

• kswonder
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As suggested by all the awesome people here, I got the Espoma organic potting mix, Espoma organic pertile (too bad there's only this brand I can find nearby) and 2 6" pots. Ta-da, two for one.

My next question would be (bear with me please): is there something else I should mix with the soil, in addition to potting mix and pertile? How tight should I make the soil? The reason I asked is, after I was done repotting, I watered it thoroughly, and some part of the soil collapsed.... I added some more and pat it tighter, but not sure how far I should go.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Heh...nothing to be ashamed about...in fact that's kinda the way you want it to look before potting to the next size up. I wouldn't worry about anything else added to the mix for now. Just leave 'em be and let 'em get adjusted to their new digs.

Good job!

I suspect that within a couple of weeks or so,you should start seeing signs of new growth. If not,don't be dismayed...aglaonemas aren't the fastest growers in the world(but I adore them anyway lol).

Not the best pic by any means,but here's a blurry look at one of mine(on top of the terrarium).
    Silly of me to even post this pic,honestly. I need to take some new pics of it.

• kswonder
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are we neighbors? I totally admire whoever is living across my window.

Just took out my fancy camera to take this photo (iPhone doesn't do this time....). I hope nobody saw me. Creepy~~~

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Hey man...they're taking pictures of us from across the way...call the cops! ;)

Nah I doubt we're neighbors. I'm in minnesota...the Ks in your name wouldn't be short for kansas,would it?

...or am I being presumptuous?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

For what it's worth,this is the view you'd have if you were across the way from me. :)

• stewartsjon
    9 years ago

Just to be a plant name nerd I'd say that was Aglaonema Maria - in eurocommercial parlance anyway.

I would also suggest pruning some of the stems back, they may not regrow but the plant will like it.

9 years ago

That is hilarious, KS & Asleep, chuckling!!

Jon, have you seen A. commutatum to compare? I'm 99.999% on that name for what I see in K'wonder's pics. And I know you know whatever you meant, and I would probably agree, but I can't help but LOL at what you said, last sentence!

I cut these off often. Here is a stump about 3 weeks after being cut. New stem started.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 15:43

9 years ago

And here's a cousin, A. modestum, that decided to make new sprouts from the stem and roots although the top remains unmolested.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Love it when they do that. It's like you have the option to let it fill out like the bushier ones,or divide it all into separate pots(once the sucker growth is mature enough with some roots of their own). I like both the multiple stem and the isolated stem appearance. A little variety never hurts. :)

• kswonder
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What, you ask me to amputate my baby?!

There are indeed one or two stems with no or just one leaves on top, and I do see several new sprouts coming out from the less bushy side. I think that's the sign for surgery....

Thanks for the pics!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Well Ks...in your case I got the impression that you wanted your plant to revert back to it's full former bushiness...which is why I had mentioned not pruning it back. Personally I tend to flip flop on such decisions...today I'll leave it alone. tomorrow I go chop-happy and set the cuttings to rooting. The next day I look at the stub of what was a full plant and question why I went and did such a thing. Of course the option remains on down the line to plant all the cuttings back in with the mamma plant once they've rooted,so if the mood strikes me,sometimes I end up doing that.

Here's a pic of my largest set of multiple cuttings jammed together in one pot. They've been like this for about two or three years.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

From the places I have seen that plant grow, I wouldn't recommend more light. Just my opinion. The best looking ones I saw grew in a stairwell at the library with only artificial light. I never saw one with naked stems. I would definitely repot and fertilize.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Years ago I had a silver queen type that was a mostly naked stem except for a nice big tuft of leaves at the terminal end and one shoot of side growth near the bottom. It cascaded out of the hanging pot it was in to great effect visually speaking...heck,I liked it like that anyway.

One great thing about ags is their tolerance to low light conditions. Indoors that's a big plus. Of course the downside is that they are pretty easy to sunburn in too much light.

By the by,I would advise against fertilizing just yet,Ks...give it a couple weeks to let it adjust to the new digs. Then it will be less likely to get burned by the nitrogen,and it should have a lot more new growth that will be ready for a feeding. That's what I would do anyway.

So they are already showing signs of side growth popping? AWESOME!!

That's a VERY good sign! =)

• stewartsjon
    9 years ago

Aglos can cope fine with high light, paradoxically the light ones like Silver Queen suffer from getting burned more than dark ones like Maria.

Their only enemies are mealy bug occasionally, and low temperature.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

OMG ain't THAT the truth?!!

I put out my first batch seedlings out too early this year and boy did they not like that! Those guys are still in rough shape now,..all this time after experiencing that chill.

• kswonder
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello everyone, how are things?

So, a week after the repotting, I noticed something upsetting. The leaves are turning saggy, lighter and yellowish and worst of all, burning at the tips.

I remember asleep_in_the_garden told me to wait for a few weeks for the growth to pick up again, but I'm a bit worried as to whether this condition is normal.

I did a quick search, and seems that there are a few potential causes:

1/ Lack of water: I watered them around twice a week. I took your advice to let it drip out the excess water before putting the lid back at the bottom.

2/ Pests: I didn't notice any.

3/ Root issues: I'm a bit nervous about this, but I didn't really do much on the roots when I repotted, only to get rid of some of the old soil and separate them into two bodies.

4/ Lack of nutrition: aren't they not getting anything from the new soil mix?

Also, as you pointed out, the low temperature could be a killer here. What temperature would be ideal for my plant? I usually keep my room temperature around 70. I notice they grow better in the winter, but I guess it's because I have the heating on.....

Again, appreciate your great tips and patience with me!

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

It could also be too much water. The plant you have likes to almost dry out between waterings.

Also, when you repotted, the pots you used were a bit on the larger side, so it may not dry out as fast. For example, the original pot being 6in (I don't remember the exact size, so bear with me here), you divided them, and placed both divisions in 6in pots. There isn't as much root mass as before, because you divided it in half. But, the pots you placed them in were the same size as if they were together.

Where I'm going with that is, it may not dry out as fast because the pots are larger and depdending on your soil choice, that will also factor in. Twice a week sounds like quite a bit to me. These can be suspectible to root rot if overwatered and that's why they like to almost dry out between waterings.

I hope this helps. I wouldn't worry about not seeing any new growth yet, it may not happen in a week.

Planto

9 years ago

This may seem harsh, but I'm being realistic and straight forward when I note that if you rely on serendipity to provide you with healthy plants of varying species, the odds favor disappointment playing a much larger part in your endeavors than you would prefer. In order to take control of your growing experience, you need to know how to eliminate cultural conditions that commonly limit your plants' ability to realize their potential. Once you get that under your belt as a foundation to build on, you'll find your abilities and rewards will grow much faster than if you rely on your mistakes as your only source of knowledge.

Upthread, I offered some basics you felt were to advanced for you to understand, but I can tell by the way you write that they're not - even if they sound like they might be. I'm not here to make you look or feel bad, I'm here to say that if you really want to make an effort to understand some of the basics, you can read the link I left upthread and ask any questions you might have about whatever puzzles you.

Learning to grow with proficiency is a little like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. If you just start trying to assemble pieces, it doesn't go so well, and it takes a lot of time; but if someone helps you assemble the basic framework first, the rest of the puzzle is a LOT easier to put together. No one that frequents the forum will ever be found to say, "I love growing plants but I already know more than I need to", but I'd bet that every one of us wishes they knew more about what they are doing when it comes to growing, even if the issues you're dealing with now are well behind them.

I hope you fare well, no matter what your course.

Al

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

Hi! I think Tapla is amazing and has written fantastic stuff. If you find it too complicated, re-read it every couple months. As you gain more experience, the information will seem less and less advanced. I am new to houseplants and I was surprised at how complex it is. People talk about having a "green thumb," but in reality, growing plants successfully is about attention to detail. Detail and observation.

I can relate to Kswonder, it seems like every problem I solve is quickly followed by a new problem...but with each problem comes learning and experience. I have struggled with soil, pests, watering issues, and root rot. Then there are light issues, space issues, etc, etc, etc.

But I would say your yellow leaves are the result of overwatering, and I think it is easy to overwater. It is a common problem. The amount you water a plant is based on the type of plant, size of plant, size of roots, size of pot, type of pot, type of growing medium, the amount of light it gets, the amount of air circulation, the humidity levels...I am sure there is more! Basically, you can't water on a schedule, like for example twice a week.

So find out how dry this plant likes to get. You can buy a pretty cheap moisture metre and use it to learn how heavy or light the pot gets when it is time to water the plant. Eventually you will be able to just lift the pot and know it is time to water. Also, a good piece of advice, when you decide it is time to water the plant, wait one more day.

Plants are incredibly rewarding because it is a challenge. I try my best but sometimes I have failures, and that is okay because everyone does.

9 years ago

My suggestion is, if you see something you don't understand, don't wait a month to reread it, because you'll just not understand it again a month later - instead, simply ask for an explanation. If someone can't tell you why they wrote what they did, you can bet there is probably better advice to be had and you'll have avoided wasting your time and effort - all because you asked a question.

Easily, 90% of the issues we read about here stem directly from a grower's inability to maintain a healthy root system - including sick plants with spoiled foliage, diseases, and insect infestations. Once you learn to keep the root system happy, which is a prerequisite to a healthy plant (you can't realistically expect a healthy plant if the root system isn't healthy), the rest is much easier.

Al

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

I think what I said was misunderstood.

I didn't say wait a month to re-read something hoping you will understand it.

What I meant is that when you are just starting out, it is easier to read less technical info. Then as you gain knowledge and experience stuff that seemed complicated gets easier to understand.

Basically, graduate yourself to more complex info as you go along. By no means was I implying that you should just wait a month and do nothing meanwhile...timing is super important and getting to the problem early is key to solving your problem.

• kswonder
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much Tapla for your messages. I'm glad that you said I don't sound like a complete idiot based on what I wrote. Just want to say that, all the seemingly advancement in my very limited understanding is from reading your instructions, and of course, from everyone else's kind suggestions and tips.

Like RioSeven said, every resolved problem is followed almost immediately by another. I now have some ideas as to what could cause what. But when something really happens, it's very difficult (I don't have a clue, honestly) to pinpoint the causes. There's a loooooong way ahead of me.

You know, I randomly searched homeplant forum the other day and gardenweb popped up. I have to say, I'm very happy about my sign-up decisions. Again, really appreciate everyone's help here.

• Jason J
    9 years ago

WOW this thread sure got complicated....

I come back with the feeling, that the OP is posting on how to transplant some super rare plant from high on the alpine mountains and not seen but once ever 50 years...

Its a simple aggy, we used them all the time in interior landscaping because of their durability. When they started looking like this....we tossed them and bought new..

I brought a few home like this, transplanted them...cut them back and in a few months got a bushy plant.

You did a good job transplanting. They are simply in shock, it wasn't necessary to remove all the old soil but it was good to see you make two new plants. Pull off the yellow leaves, make sure to water when they are dry. Trimming some of the canes down will also make recovery time faster as the roots won't need to nourish all that cane.

9 years ago

Dateline: 10/19/2002, Columbus, OH, light: very low, atop a tall cabinet in a room with 1 north window.

A plain green Aglaonema, A. modestum, after about 2 decades of such conditions.

9 years ago

Dateline: 1-23-2013, same plant after a few years of better light, (some direct sun, just not during the middle of the day if outside,) propagatively rejuvenated.

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

I believe K plant can become a beautiful plant with TLC. I have crude experience with what I call Chinese evergreen....but my experience says the easiest way to kill them is to let them get cold!

• kswonder
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Purple -- what a difference!

• kswonder
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey teengardener, I agree. My plant is doing worse in summer when I have my cooling on, even though I place them next to windows with plenty of sunlight during day.

What is TLC, by the way?

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

TLC= tender loving care

Planto

• kswonder
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Look what happens now?! TLC, nailed it :)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

That's so cool!

Planto

9 years ago

Yes, it's blooming!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Hmmm...

I wonder if this means a delay on new leaves with it focusing it's energy on a bloom cycle..?

Also wonder if it will produce berries...although a rarity from what I've seen so far,it does happen with that particular variety of aglaonema(commutatum). I know where a plant is that has done it pretty consistently. Crazy thing is that nothing special or different is being done for/to them.