Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lula8

My desert rose lost all its leaves! What do I do?

lula8
15 years ago

This little plant was so cute when I bought it but it lost a bunch of leaves as it got acclimated to it's first window in my old house, but then it grew some new leaves. Then, I moved and it wasn't happy and now it has lost every single leaf.

Should I cut the stalks down? I want it to be bushy, rather than tall and spindly (if it ever grows new leaves).

Help!

{{gwi:102329}}From Assorted

Comments (12)

• lula8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you! This looks like the most tragic little plant right now. At least there's hope.

• nanw_4wi
    15 years ago

I completely agree with Tyler's advice regarding the lighting.
    If it were mine, however, I would cut back on watering *A LOT* until new growth appears, or you risk the caudex rotting.
    It is pretty normal for these to begin a dormant period this time of year when grown indoors, though some people are able to keep them growing with abundant light.

• ttkidd
    15 years ago

Agreed about the watering :) When the plant has no leaves, I generally don't water it until the soil is completely dry and the caudex goes slightly soft.

Tyler

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Aside from reducing water, don't add any fertilizer until spring. Toni

• cena60
    15 years ago

Leave it dry and protected from cold and excess water. Once you see some new growth popping out, you can start watering. You can also trim back but you must INCREASE THE LIGHT. If you trim back and grow in the same conditions, it will continue to look the same at the end of next year. These will take full sun every day in So Cal. I've kept one alive through four Winters (see 'don't water while dormant', above by previous posters). A newly purchased plant bloomed this year and I am officially 'hooked'!

I've been watching closely a Cactus & Succulent Guru who trims them down to stumps willy nilly and pots up as bonsai! I recently asked him about cutting my lanky bloomer back and his recommendation was to wait until spring and full growing season.

I find with mine after winter dormancy is broken, plenty of water and some fertilizer will pop out those blooms!

This adenium is four years old and has never been cut.
    {{gwi:102330}} It is in full sun all year, except for Winter (known as Rainy Season in SoCal) when I move it in and water about three times during it's indoor stay. (Still hasn't bloomed, but I only started working on that this year.) I am getting ready to 'raise' the plant so the fat root (caudex)is exposed, part of the allure to C&S growers for this plant.

DISCLAIMER: None of the plants shown in the following are MY plants! They are examples of local-to-my-area C&S enthusiasts and their art.
    {{gwi:102331}}
    This plant, in 2008 took four men to lift up to the table. This pic was taken in 2006.
    {{gwi:102332}}
    The proud grower and plant in 2007.
    {{gwi:102333}}

• nanw_4wi
    15 years ago

Oh, and don't those photos make you realize that all the pain these can cause is sooo worth it!!!(Ã)

Cena...the last two....those BIG ones....are they Adenium?

Their leaves look much smaller than A. obesum.

• GAgirl-apryl
    10 years ago

I have had my desert rose for over a year and I still have yet to get it to bloom also it has list its leaves. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong? Also it is very tall over two foot do I need to prune and how?

• GAgirl-apryl
    10 years ago

I have had my desert rose for over a year and I still have yet to get it to bloom also it has list its leaves. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong? Also it is very tall over two foot do I need to prune and how?

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Hi! I was just passing by to look up something and I saw this thread.

If I may interject, I will suggest that you wait until mid-spring to prune your plant, GAgirl. Although without seeing what it actually looks like, it's hard to say whether it needs it. Pruning is really a matter of personal aesthetic preference.

When you do prune, cut diagonally across the stem you wish to trim. This way, water will not bead on top of that exposed surface when you water or when it rains. It is also best to wait until you are sure it will not rain before you prune your plant. Sometimes, pruning shocks it into blooming, too. But only sometimes.

Okay, re-lurking now!

Pagan

• GAgirl-apryl
    10 years ago

Thank you I suppose I neglected to say it have it as a house plant. Any tips on its not Blooming ?

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

GAgirl. Your Adenium needs sun to bloom.

What's its size?

Don't over-pot. Desert Rose are more likely to flower when roots are slightly tight.

Have you checked the Adenium Forum? Members are experts when it comes to Adeniums.

Their motto is treat Adeniums as tropicals in summer and succulents during winter. It works.

Toni

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler