Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Sush, this is for you. Thank you again:-)

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

Hi Stush! I wanted to thank you again for the plants you sent me a while back and show you how well they are doing.

Would you believe that everyone that visits me loves the brain one, and it all started with a posted asking us to show pics of our ugliest plants.lol

{{gwi:102373}}

{{gwi:102374}}

{{gwi:102375}}

Thanks again for your kindness! I love them all.

Comments (10)

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

Hey Mike & Stush, got one like the 1st one yesterday at lowe's for .99 ..great find, I racked up since they were all .99 &.89

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Mike,
    Doing a great job razing them. That last photo, is that 'Hope' I sent you? It was suppose to stay small. What are you feeding them? I have another small philo called PHILODENDRON XANADU and GOLDEN XANADU. They stayed less than a foot tall. Very thick bird nest type. Look them up on Glasshosue works. He gave me the golden xanadu free with my order then sold it next year for $17.95. Great deal.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stush..Yup. That's it.lol

It must be getting the spray from the Foliage Pro I am using! I also potted it and threw a little Slow Release Osmocote into the mix, the 5.1.1 that is.
    I was shocked to see how great it's doing when it didn't look good in the beginning.

Hey, I shall have to check those out. I can't wait. The Golden sounds beautiful. They are so wonderful to grow in those places of the house where nothing else goes.

Thanks so much again!

Mike

• CorpsmanCooper
    11 years ago

Oooooooooooh I really like the last one! What is it? I might have to have one! I also got a piece of the first one from Stush! It's doing really well too!

~Erin~

11 years ago

Erin,
    There are two different philos there. Split leaf and Hope. I sent Mike the Hope because it was growing too large for me and he wanted the larger growing one. I have a smaller growing one than what's pictured.
    Glasshouse Works sell it as XANADU and I have the gold one named GOLDEN XANADU. I should be able to divide it up next spring. They grow only about 8 inches and very thick.
    Stush
    PS. I got one reserved for you Mike.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stush, no way! I would love a Golden one! You know how I feel about color! By the way, did you ever get a Hummel Sunset jade yet or even a cutting of my mother plant everyone raves about? You are a good man and I treasure what ever you send me.
    Funny, as ugly as you think that cactus is, everyone seems to love it.:-)

Erin! Stush will hook you up for sure! I wish I would of known about what you wanted earlier in the spring. I may have a plant or two for you too by then..

By the way, did I tell you how nice it is to see you here!? Welcome:-)

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Howdy All,

Mike, I believe the plant in pic 1 is Euphorbia. There is a true Cactus called, Brain Cactus, 'Mammillaria' but doesn't resemble your succulent. Maybe a second pic would help.

P. Xanadu 'Golden' is a very pretty Philo, but golden hues appear in certain light. I gave mine to a friend several years back.
    Gold foliage is noticeable in lower light, otherwise, leaves revert to light/pale green.

Did Stush give you all the plants you posted? Very nice collection. Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni, yes! Talk about a VERY generous man. I do treasure these plants and hopefully I will be able to hold on to them for a very long time.

In the second picture down, are those Aloes of some sort? I don't know he exact name. I see to have lost it but I love how fast they grow and the color! I love them very much.

The golden one you speak of. I want one so bad. I have heard they are easy to grow and thrive well in a dimly lit area. Is that true? Do you have a pic of yours Toni and or Stush. I would love to see them.

Thanks so much and Toni. welcome back. I know you have been through a lot and have been very sick. I am so happy you are on your way to better health these days.

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hey Mike,

To give you such nice, mature plants he has to be generous.

The second plant in pic 2 is variegated Agave. Unlike Aloes that flower yearly, Agaves take a decade or longer to bloom, lol. After flowering mom dies back, but new pups grow alongside the base.

Mike, perhaps you didn't see what I wrote. Back in the late 90's, early 2000's, I gave a friend 27 or so Philos, both green and gold Xanadu included..to make room for other plants..lol.
    Of course, once again I fell in love w/Philos, so ended up buying different species. Some variegated. :) Or with rarer shaped leaves.
    It's possible I have an old pic on my Flickr account, but need to check. After giving a plant away or dies, I normally delete pics on Flickr, but I'll take a look-see.

Thanks Mike. I still have 4 tests coming up, the first Tues. I'm scared, lol.

I read you weren't feeling well. Hope you're doing better..??

Mike, you always start the most interesting threads. Toni

11 years ago

Toni,
    That is a cactus Some ID'ed it as Cereus fernambucensis f. cristate. I have euphorbia cristate. It is simular but if you saw them side by side, there are many differences.
    The Agaves are Agave vivipara (angustifolia) variegate. They are large growing so (Mike) keep it in a small pot.